Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Ode' to GeoJerry a man on fire!
Lens: Tamron Adaptall 40A Camera: K5 Photo Location: Cottonwood, CA USA ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/6000s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: WillH, 11-30-2012, 02:03 PM

They say imitation is a form of flattery.......so Jerry feel flattered!

What do you do when it's storming like heck outside and you're cooped up indoors by the fire? Well, you take a page from GeoJerry's book and photograph the fire! It was a good way to pass the afternoon! Followed Jerry's settings and then messed around some just to see what happens. Some are interesting.

Here's the object of my attention. Ye ole wood stove. (a little grainy due to high ISO)

Thanks for the inspiration Jerry!
Views: 659
11-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
love the 1st photo Will with the branding irons on the wood wall, items I assume you have used on the ranch. Great job on the flames.
11-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very well captured Will. Jerry I think you've created a Monster.
11-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OMG what have I done? LOL These are nice, much bigger flames than I had. You can just take hundreds of these and get so many different outcomes, it's easy to get wrapped up in this.

Now, your next step is to stack some of these and see what happens! Like in my Getting Funky post.

11-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
OMG what have I done? LOL These are nice, much bigger flames than I had.

Now, your next step is to stack some of these and see what happens! Like in my Getting Funky post.
Well, ya know what they say? Big hands, big feet, big ears, means you probably got ..............a big flame?

I plan to do some experimenting. Perhaps tomorrow.

Thanks Bob! Yes, that's our collection of branding irons. We've registered 5 brands over the years, but only use one today, the bar WH. The original bar A, dates back to the mid 1800's. Because of our thriving economy those brands are extremely important due to rustling.

eagles, he sure did! I'm not too creative so I copy whenever possible
11-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shots Will!

While I also benefit from the warmth of our wood stove, I can't get any pics like yours since it has solid doors.......
11-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Great shots Will!

While I also benefit from the warmth of our wood stove, I can't get any pics like yours since it has solid doors.......
You could probably open it up for a little while. Our stove is a Vermont Casting deal and can be use with a glass door or screen. It's alot more efficient with door in place, obviously. I don't use the screen much - just when I'm photographing the flames. Our house isn't very big so the stove heats the whole place nicely on just a cord and half of wood per season.

The glass door is leaning against the wall behind the stove.
11-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
Our house isn't very big so the stove heats the whole place nicely on just a cord and half of wood per season.
Ugh - I should be so lucky....5-6 cord a year for us - the stove runs from mid October through mid April.

12-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pass the marshmallows please.
12-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Pass the marshmallows please.
Ha, we do that ! Our daughter is 42 and she still likes toasting marshmallows at the stove. We have a willow tree that supplies all the sticks for toasting. We also roast chestnuts on top! Geeze, what a bazaar life we have....toasting marshmallows, roasting chestnuts and playing Texas Hold'em. Let it storm!