Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Help prove judges wrong
Photo Location: Gulf Shores, AL 
Posted By: slowpez, 12-02-2012, 10:13 AM

Just had the first photo of these two rejected by the PEG. I don't know why I submit to them but I must be a glutton for punishment. Anyhow, I am not going to complain about the rejection but the comment. The judge stated that Alabama does not have sunsets like the one I submitted. How the heck does he know? The first shot was taken last year and the second one two years before. The colors were not enhanced but they were sharpened and contrast was boosted slightly.
OK, all you southerners, how about adding your own photos to this thread to prove the judge is all wet.

Last edited by slowpez; 02-28-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Views: 1,903
12-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Given I live in Pensacola, I can attest to your sunset shots. Although it doesn't happen all the time, they are not that uncommon in our area. I'll have to dig through some of my sunset shots and add them later.
BTW: Beautiful shots!
12-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hey Susan, I left one message but thought I better delete it and just say how wonderful both these shots are. I especially love the second. I have never been to Alabama, but these are the nicest sunsets I have seen in a long time. Thanks for sharing.
12-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Nice sunsets Susan.Here is my Southern sunset taken in Florida.I just tweaked the brightness and contrast only.There's nothing like a sarcastic judge.-charliezap

Attached Images

12-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Given I live in Pensacola, I can attest to your sunset shots. Although it doesn't happen all the time, they are not that uncommon in our area. I'll have to dig through some of my sunset shots and add them later.
BTW: Beautiful shots!
Thanks twilhelm, looking forward to seeing your sunsets. Lets make the guy feel really ignorant.

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Hey Susan, I left one message but thought I better delete it and just say how wonderful both these shots are. I especially love the second. I have never been to Alabama, but these are the nicest sunsets I have seen in a long time. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Tess. I really shouldn't let them get my dander up. Just made me mad that a false assumption was made.

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Nice sunsets Susan.Here is my Southern sunset taken in Florida.I just tweaked the brightness and contrast only.There's nothing like a sarcastic judge.-charliezap
Gorgeous Charlie. I was in Florida once for 5 minutes and I didn't see any sunsets that were that brilliantly colored. Are you sure it wasn't photoshopped?
12-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Judging photo's is difficult and hard to understand at times. I have seen things that win and I just don't get it and other times they get it right, in my mind! Great images and in the end we are in this hobby for the love of it. I get out in nature and see things that I use to sleep through. I cinsider myself very lucky! Nicely done Susan, JIM
12-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Judging photo's is difficult and hard to understand at times. I have seen things that win and I just don't get it and other times they get it right, in my mind! Great images and in the end we are in this hobby for the love of it. I get out in nature and see things that I use to sleep through. I cinsider myself very lucky! Nicely done Susan, JIM
Thanks Jim. Judging is a hard task and there is no way to do it without hurting someones feelings. Actually, I agree with them on turning this one down EXCEPT for the comment about the colors being altered. Methinks that if they can't prove the statement they should keep their mouths shut.

12-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Thanks Jim. Judging is a hard task and there is no way to do it without hurting someones feelings. Actually, I agree with them on turning this one down EXCEPT for the comment about the colors being altered. Methinks that if they can't prove the statement they should keep their mouths shut.
Even if they could, and they were right, so what? A picture with an "enhanced sunset" is a bad picture? The comment was totally uncalled for and completely idiotic.
12-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

This shot Susan has minimal brightness and contrast alterations.Who's to say what a picture should look like? The universe is in "default setting" It's up to us to show what it can look like through different perceptions of realities.-charliezap
Attached Images

12-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree with vonBaloney!
12-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Solution - get the OGPS1 and geotag your photo
12-02-2012, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are right to feel upset over those ill informed comments. I think anyone who has submitted photos to PEG has experienced the sour taste these sarcastic, ill informed and irrelevant comments leave in the mouth. For the record, my score is 0 out of 8 acceptances with PEG and 5 out of 5 with PPG. Personally I do not think I will bother to submit any more photos to PEG., which is sad as it is OUR gallery after all.
12-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Even if they could, and they were right, so what? A picture with an "enhanced sunset" is a bad picture? The comment was totally uncalled for and completely idiotic.
Well I agree with you there. It is the fact that the comment was out of line that twisted my panties.

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
This shot Susan has minimal brightness and contrast alterations.Who's to say what a picture should look like? The universe is in "default setting" It's up to us to show what it can look like through different perceptions of realities.-charliezap
Another beauty Charlie.

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
I agree with vonBaloney!
Thanks riff.

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Solution - get the OGPS1 and geotag your photo
Wouldn't help - the comment from the judge was about his opinion that Alabama doesn't have sunsets like that so I must have altered it. Proving I had taken it there would not have convinced him it wasn't altered.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
You are right to feel upset over those ill informed comments. I think anyone who has submitted photos to PEG has experienced the sour taste these sarcastic, ill informed and irrelevant comments leave in the mouth. For the record, my score is 0 out of 8 acceptances with PEG and 5 out of 5 with PPG. Personally I do not think I will bother to submit any more photos to PEG., which is sad as it is OUR gallery after all.
If you look at the number of photos accepted in a thirty day period, it is pretty darn low. Either we are not submitting any or we are all terrible photographers. Too many great photos here for me to believe that there are so few photos that qualify and heck I've had 7 accepted but doubt I will ever get another in. I will keep trying though if for no other reason than to give the judges something to do. At least there were comments this time and some of them were actually spot on. I just wish there was more constructive in constructive criticism.
12-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Wouldn't help - the comment from the judge was about his opinion that Alabama doesn't have sunsets like that so I must have altered it. Proving I had taken it there would not have convinced him it wasn't altered.
Nor would it explain why altering it would be bad!
12-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's not a thing wrong with either shot you posted and the Judge is supposed to be judging the merits of the shots and the skills involved in taking them and not entering into a debate as to whether these colours actually appear in the sky in that specific area. I think some judges over reach their skills and abilities and obviously this one did. I know how you feel when you know that you have something good to enter a competition and it gets overlooked for something less worthy of a place getter. Been there had that done.