Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Minus Polyglottos
Lens: Tamron Adaptall 23A Camera: K5 Photo Location: Cottonwood, CA USA ISO: 100 
Posted By: WillH, 12-03-2012, 11:20 AM

What the heck, Mockingbird! Only thing moving about after the storm was this poor ole' Mockingbird! Photos taken at 100' away full telephoto wide open and cropped! Tough to get a decent photo. This is the best I could muster from inside peeking out the window. I just enjoy watch their antics, they have a presents.....

Looks like my Pyracantha bush is dying for some reason. It's loosing all it's green color, yet still has a few berries.

We had winds gusting to 65MPH and their nest stayed put in the Maple tree! Impressive because we lost limbs and several trees went down! And to think they didn't even have a building permit!

Last edited by WillH; 01-12-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Views: 677
12-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
good job from that distance Will... building permits are over rated anyway!
12-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Cee Cee! I thought it was actually closer until I got out my handy dandy tape an measured the distance! Honestly, I took 12 photos and only 4 were decent after cropping! Bummer! Anyhoo, was better than cussing world affairs! If you look close you can just see a little twinkle in the birds eye.......I would see that reflected sun light though the lens while taking the picture. I was worried it would over power the eye, but it didn't

Had some Goldfinches in earlier but by the time I got the tripod set up they were long gone! So, it's the ole' Mockingbird or nothing! Well, there's always the flames in the wood stove!
12-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think these photos turned out very well Will, especially at that distance.Your mockingbirds are a lot better looking than the ones we had in the desert. I read where a big nasty system was going through your area, I would imagine Lassen and Shasta got quite a good snow cover out of the storm.

12-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I think these photos turned out very well Will, especially at that distance.Your mockingbirds are a lot better looking than the ones we had in the desert. I read where a big nasty system was going through your area, I would imagine Lassen and Shasta got quite a good snow cover out of the storm.
We did get our butt kicked a little. I've been out all day getting the fallen trees off fences (firewood for next year). We need the water but not all at once! Our reservoir is almost full in just two days! Went from damn near dry to nearly full in just two storms! That's a lot of water! I am pooped! Feel like I went 15 rounds in the boxing ring! I'm working on a little single malt and a perfecto. Think I'll survive..........

Here's Mt. Shasta and the Trinity Alps taken this morning. Not the best photos, I was in a hurry! That mess in the middle of the Alps is my attempt to remove a power line! Really messed that up!

Last edited by WillH; 01-12-2013 at 04:31 PM.
12-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would say you got some moisture, at least the grasslands are wet now so you don't have to worry about fire for a couple of weeks.
12-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Really managed some nice shots of that mockingbird considering it was through a window. You must keep yours a heck of a lot cleaner than we do.

12-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Really managed some nice shots of that mockingbird considering it was through a window. You must keep yours a heck of a lot cleaner than we do.
Uh....Susan! I don't do windows! I'll do just about everything else, but window are my lovely wife's providence. Yes, she likes those particular windows clean! Actually, I was about 10' back from the window when I took those shots. I really thought they would be worse. That's with a Tamron Adaptall 2 23A lens @ 300mm and a 2X teleconverter! So what's that work out to - about 900mm at the sensor? The Katzeye focus prism helps tremendously. Like I said most didn't turn out! Ya get lucky.........