Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Petroglyphs
Posted By: Mark Castleman, 02-13-2008, 10:14 PM

Some ancient (800 to 1000 years old) rock art in the Valley of Fire State Park near Las Vegas. The wind makes some interesting erosion patterns in the sandstone as well.

Pentax K10d, Pentax 18-55mm, 1/250, f/4.5, ISO 100

Last edited by Mark Castleman; 02-14-2008 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Added a word so the last sentence makes sense
Views: 2,233
02-13-2008, 10:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't usually respond to these, but that is a REALLY nice shot. I dig it.
02-13-2008, 10:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

What a great area to shoot. Do you have any other shots of the area? I like the avatar (hard to tell from such a small pic..... but I am guessing Yamaha FJR?)
02-14-2008, 01:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That is indeed a remarkable shot. Technically superb, nice composition, good colours, great texture. It really is a stand out photo, Mark.

I hope you can find some more shots for us to post. I drove past Valley of Fire on a drive to Chicago back in the early 90s and I'd sure like some more reminders of it, especially if they are of this standard -- that's National Geographic quality.

02-14-2008, 02:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree, Great shot. The sun framed just below the rock's upper edge makes this a winner. Good job with the exposure as well and not having the rocks too dark or sky washed out.
02-14-2008, 03:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Splendid shot. Good composition with these rocky formation.

The rocks on the right upper corner make this shot tick!
02-14-2008, 05:49 AM   #7

Original Poster
The bike is a BMW K1200LT. It's well suited to me and my long rides.

02-14-2008, 10:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Great exposure, contrast, colours and composition Mark.

Paul
02-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mark,

Nice capture. I have been to Valley of Fire twice and I have to say that it was one of the best natural areas I have ever been to. The scenery is jaw dropping and the intense red of the Aztec Sandstone in the area is stunning. I was there when the weather was tolerable, in late November. I don't think that I would like to be there during the summer.

Was this shot around Mouse's Tank? Maybe I'll post a few images on this thread if you don't mind.

Stephen
02-14-2008, 05:16 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Mark,

Nice capture. I have been to Valley of Fire twice and I have to say that it was one of the best natural areas I have ever been to. The scenery is jaw dropping and the intense red of the Aztec Sandstone in the area is stunning. I was there when the weather was tolerable, in late November. I don't think that I would like to be there during the summer.

Was this shot around Mouse's Tank? Maybe I'll post a few images on this thread if you don't mind.

Stephen
This was shot at Atlatl Rock, which is near the campground. I agree totally about going in spring or fall, July was just to darn hot!. I want to go back close to sunset to get some shots with better light and I also want to go back to Red Rock Canyon to get some there as well.
02-14-2008, 06:14 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I'm impressed: those are pretty nice shots and the exposure does make them stand out. How far from Las Vegas is it?
02-14-2008, 08:34 PM   #12
m8o
Veteran Member

those dang graffiti artist kids of yesteryears...!

beautiful image and composition.
02-14-2008, 09:47 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by weatherwise2 Quote
I'm impressed: those are pretty nice shots and the exposure does make them stand out. How far from Las Vegas is it?
It's about 55 miles from downtown to the visitor's center. It makes a nice day trip for when you reach the point that the sound of one more slot machine will drive you to madness.
02-17-2008, 10:47 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Castleman Quote
It's about 55 miles from downtown to the visitor's center. It makes a nice day trip for when you reach the point that the sound of one more slot machine will drive you to madness.
Hi Mark

I didn't know it was quite that far, because I know I got there in well under an hour (nice highway speeds). But it is an interesting drive none the less. I remember coming in off the highway, and the road eventually spiraling down through the Muddy Muddy mountains (the overlying ancient limestone formation) until you turn a final corner, and there before stretches these incongruous firey spines of Aztec sandstone.

BTW, for anyone whom has seen the Star Trek Movie where Capt. Kirk buys the farm fighting side by side with Captain Piccard agains Malcom MacDonald (?) and the Nexus,.... this is where that filming took place... though I think it must have been in a remote area of the park because I didn't remember seeing any of this spectacular red sandstone anywhere.

BTW2, I have travelled quite esxtensively around the country but when I turned the corner to enter this State Park I remember staring straight ahead through the windshield and saying aloud... "Oh my God... this is unbelievable."

Now, I have never been able to get a link to pbase but I'll try here... ( I know it won't work ) Hey... it seems to work when I look at it anyway.

All images taken with K100D and probably mostly with the 31 LTD or DA 12-24.

At the Arch on the other side of Atlatl Rock

What I like to call Eagles Head. solid Aztec Sandsrtone

Fun with differential weathering

What I call the Desert Sphinx

Uncanny and surreal formations

And a quick evening panorama made of 11 shots... USE THE SCROLL BAR to pan right

And a parting shot taken at the end of a very enchanting day. My only sadness on the day was that my wife had not come out west to share what was a really magical day.

Stephen

Stephen C. Gushue's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

Last edited by SCGushue; 02-17-2008 at 10:59 AM.