Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The white whale!
Lens: Point & Shoot Camera: NIKON S9100 Photo Location: NWC China Lake 
Posted By: usn ret, 12-09-2012, 12:25 AM

This F4 was used for many years for ejection seat testing. I attended an airshow where they demonstrated an ejection for the public, the dummy died. The parachute failed to open and it certainly made a mess of equipment and the dummy "Oscar". Many of the spectators did not realize the the ejection was a failure and would have been fatal had there been a live person onboard. #2 pic shows a contrail, in the F4 frame, of a large aircraft very high and going quite fast. TFL Cliff

PS, does anyone know why the EXIF data is being stripped. I am using PIXresizer. The save exif data box is checked.

Attached Images

Last edited by usn ret; 12-09-2012 at 12:35 AM. Reason: added exif question
Views: 1,041
12-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
always liked phantoms, an awesome machine, .... it may be the file size which is causing the problem with the exif data (if the max file size exceeds the limit for posting, the data is stripped)
cheers.
12-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cliff, I remember heading down Inyokern Road and these jets would fly about 100' off the highway from the base it seemed, would scare the heck out of me and you could actually feel the vehicle shake.
12-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful bird. We were paddling near Cold Lake, Atla back in the '70's when two of these burst over the trees and shook the whole brigade. We didn't see or here them coming; gave me a sense of what the VC must have felt.

Last edited by jac; 12-10-2012 at 04:57 AM.
12-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
always liked phantoms, an awesome machine, .... it may be the file size which is causing the problem with the exif data (if the max file size exceeds the limit for posting, the data is stripped)
cheers.
CC, thanks for the suggestion about file size, I just posted another pic, smaller file and the EXIF is there. Thanks Cliff
12-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
CC, thanks for the suggestion about file size, I just posted another pic, smaller file and the EXIF is there. Thanks Cliff
Bob and jac, thanks for looking. YES, they are very loud, especially when not expected.....Cliff
12-10-2012, 03:10 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I saw a pair of Phantoms fly over at low altitude when I was very young. The only time I've seen an F4 in flight. Australia had the F4 briefly while waiting for delivery of the F111. Thanks for the memories! History repeats itself - now we have the Super Hornet while waiting for delivery of the JSF...