Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Flying snow
Lens: Sigma 70-300 macro, Vivatar 135 with 1.7 TC Camera: K-5 Photo Location: my porch ISO: 1600 
Posted By: normhead, 12-09-2012, 03:04 PM

I've taken so many of these bird pictures, these days I need a theme to get inspired to post them. We had a light snow today and the birds seemed to be flinging it all over the place as they hunted and devoured seeds. So I thought to myself, "self, there's a theme you haven't done yet". Of course it involves the usual cast of characters. Redpolls, chickadees, and Pine Grosbeaks.

I had to try out Tess' old manual focus 135mm Vivatar 2.8 with my TC. Absolutely wild purple fringing. Beyond repair. If you see any purple seeds, that's what it is. Then I tried the DA*60-250. Those internal focus zooms suck so bad for magnification in close ups, I have no idea why anyone would use them for that. Back to the old $100 Sigma 70-300, which I swear is one of the best sucky lenses in the genre. Why can't someone make a sharp (at 300mm) cheap zoom. Why are they all good at their short end and sucky at their long end? We need one "reverse engineered".

But I digress.

Without further ado I present my latest bird feature series, 'Flying Snow"

Last edited by normhead; 12-09-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Views: 751
12-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Back to the old $100 Sigma 70-300, which I swear is one of the best sucky lenses in the genre. Why can't someone make a sharp (at 300mm) cheap zoom. Why are they all good at their short end and sucky at their long end? We need one "reverse engineered".
I agree with that, my sigma spends most of its life pretty much wide open @ 300ml, I would think most people who have similar lens have them for the 300ml on a budget function. Sometimes I get too close and actually forget its a zoom and I can zoom out . I suspect It becomes a problem of physics/optics, significant improvement @ 300ml and its no longer a budget lens. I Like you photos by the way, cheers.
12-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Norm, all wonderful images with great color and clarity. You seem to be able to handle these "sucky" lens very well I would say.
12-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
I agree with that, my sigma spends most of its life pretty much wide open @ 300ml, I would think most people who have similar lens have them for the 300ml on a budget function. Sometimes I get too close and actually forget its a zoom and I can zoom out . I suspect It becomes a problem of physics/optics, significant improvement @ 300ml and its no longer a budget lens. I Like you photos by the way, cheers.
Thanks CeeCee. We've also found Cee that at 70-100mm it's a pretty decent landscape lens. In that range it actually outperfromed my 18-135, not for centre sharp but for landscape.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Norm, all wonderful images with great color and clarity. You seem to be able to handle these "sucky" lens very well I would say.
The trick to sucky lenses is to get close and use sharpening. It's at a distance that they hurt you. AT a distance my DA* 60-250 makes it look like crap. 10 feet away, the Sigma returns the favour.

12-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great work. These are really nice. Great action and detail. Really nice work.
12-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The chickadee with the sunflower seed in its beaks is magnificent. The image is so sharp.
12-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wonderful series.

Tom G
12-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A very pleasing to view and well done series Norm.--charliezap

12-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dice Quote
Great work. These are really nice. Great action and detail. Really nice work.
Thanks for the nice comment....

QuoteOriginally posted by jnguyen Quote
The chickadee with the sunflower seed in its beaks is magnificent. The image is so sharp.
Get close and use sharpening and any lens looks good. Thanks for the comment.

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Wonderful series.

Tom G
Thanks Tom

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
A very pleasing to view and well done series Norm.--charliezap
Thanks for commenting Charlie.

I have to say, the one that tickles me most is the third one. Every time I see it I feel like saying " Wash your face." The last one I think is my favourite.
12-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Norm, you just made my happy hour happier.
12-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Norm, you just made my happy hour happier.
No problem slowpez, we aim to please.