Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
New Photographer - Update
Lens: SMC Pentax-M 50mm Camera: K1000 Photo Location: Home 
Posted By: Rockinghorse Winner, 12-09-2012, 04:37 PM

Having won a K1000 at auction a while back, I set out starting to take pictures with it, not really knowing what I was doing, or the condition of the lens it came with, a 28mm prime that turned out to have serious issues. You can see the initial results here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photo-critique/181372-nature-new-photogra...rst-shots.html

At the helpful suggestions of some on this forum, I bought a Pentax 50mm prime, and tried again. I post some of the best results of those first photos with the new lens, now. Helpful critiques welcomed.

I am pleased with the new lens. The most persistent anomaly I experienced was that the flash bleaches the walls and carpeting, although the subject comes out alright. I was wondering what might be done to reduce this tendency. I was using a Vivitar 550FD on the A2 setting (f5.6). There is also an A1 setting (f2.8), which I haven't tried yet.

I certainly enjoyed the way the flowers came out. For a lens that is not a macro lens, it seems to me to do a creditable job with these pictures taken at less than 24".

Attached Images

Views: 1,040
12-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personally, I like the cat better than the flowers - richer tones, nice crisp image, and I just like cats.
What film are you using?
Thanks for sharing.
12-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback, jford. Actually I'm using on those pics fuji 100 ASA. Nice of you to mention the crisp focus on Martha. Its not a simple matter for me to focus with the manual lens. Dont know if its inexperience or middle age.
12-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I like the first picture ... there's something about it that makes me keep on looking at it ...

Have you tried and play with them in Photoshop or similar software? Bring back a little bit on the colors and contrast?

12-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I like the first picture ... there's something about it that makes me keep on looking at it ...

Have you tried and play with them in Photoshop or similar software? Bring back a little bit on the colors and contrast?
Thanks for the kind words. "Bring back a little bit"? Do you mean reduce the color saturation and contrast or increase?
12-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rockinghorse Winner Quote
Thanks for the kind words. "Bring back a little bit"? Do you mean reduce the color saturation and contrast or increase?
Oh, sorry, I thought you can read minds . I guess I should of explain my train of thought as well.

I was thinking that the colors are a little pale ... and I was thinking that I guess, the actual flower had more color and contrast to it than the picture show.
So by "bring back" I was thinking to try and give more color by adding a little bit more of color and contrast to the flower. And while at it, clean the little white dust specs.
Hope makes more sense this time .
12-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I certainly will look into tinkering with the image scans. I guess for my linux home computer Id need t2 install something like Gimp or Picasa. Thanks for the heads up, even though I'm more concerned now with the art of 'taking' good pictures I cant neglect 'post' as a place to put the final creative stamp on them. I look forward to learning this aspect of the hobby, also.

12-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

True, there is always time for post-processing later on.

For linux (I guess Ubuntu!?), Gimp will work nicely (I have some experience with it).
I don't know much about Picasa ... haven't had the chance to try it yet.

Have fun shooting .
12-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
I shall!
12-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mr. RW - let me second the suggestion for GIMP. I'm pretty much entirely a Linux user, and while GIMP does WAY more than I'm capable of, it also has a LOT of on-line tutorials.