Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Christmas, Manhattan Beach Style
Lens: Pentax 17-70 mm f/4 Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Manhattan Beach, CA 
Posted By: GeoJerry, 12-10-2012, 11:42 PM

Manhattan Beach celebrated its 100th anniversary Sunday night with a double act fireworks display. This was taken towards the end of the second show. It's my first serious effort at photographing fireworks (i.e. with a camera that doesn't have a fireworks icon on the LCD screen) and I like it, but it was very tricky getting a decent exposure.

Last edited by GeoJerry; 12-12-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Views: 786
12-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Reetings! Very nice shot of a tough subject.
12-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like how you kept the crowd in the photo Jerry, looks like that heavy ocean air kept the smoke from clearing quickly.
12-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Reetings! Very nice shot of a tough subject.
Thanks SpecialK. Really too bad about that sign... this could have made a nice Christmas card if not for that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I really like how you kept the crowd in the photo Jerry, looks like that heavy ocean air kept the smoke from clearing quickly.
Thanks Bob. Actually this was 3 exposures, 4 seconds for the crowd and street, and then 1/125 secs for each of the two fireworks displays. I then layered them all together after moving the fireworks into the positions I wanted.

12-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A very interesting composition, kept me viewing it for awhile.
12-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
A very interesting composition, kept me viewing it for awhile.
Thanks for looking! Yes, lots going on in this picture.
12-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Thanks for looking! Yes, lots going on in this picture.
I usually use shutter speeds of 1 to 3 seconds for the fireworks and adjust the black point in Aperture. Fireworks are one subject I never really tried with film but enjoy capturing digitally.

12-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Castleman Quote
I usually use shutter speeds of 1 to 3 seconds for the fireworks and adjust the black point in Aperture. Fireworks are one subject I never really tried with film but enjoy capturing digitally.
I had never tried fireworks before so I searched for info on settings. f/11 @ 1/150 @ ISO 100 seemed to be the consensus. What I actually found was that something like f/4.5 @ 1/60 @ ISO 1600 did the trick. I wanted a shutter speed at least fast enough to freeze the motion of the fireworks. Like you I also did the black point adjustment to bring out the blacks.