Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
K5 Vs D800E...the blind test! :p
Lens: 24-70 VS 50-135 Camera: D800E and K5 
Posted By: D4rknezz, 12-10-2012, 11:45 PM

Alright guys!
Here is the game : The following two pictures were taken by yours truly, one with the venerable k5 50-135 2.8, the other one with the much louded D800E 24-70 2.8
Make your guesses! Dont ruin it for anyone else though! Which was which?
1. Make your guess
2. Click through to see Exif
3. post (if you want) with your impression - whether you were right or wrong - without ruining it for the other people...who may or may not be interested in this thread. Lol. Was the result to your expectation? Did you get it right? did you get it wrong?

Have fun
Oh...CC welcome

Views: 1,247
12-11-2012, 01:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was correct in my guess but since I am on my iPhone my opinion was based on other element of the photo, not IQ.
I'll have to wait to see it on my pc to make any observations.
Lovely photos.
12-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I guessed right too. There's just so much more detail and such a smooth tonal range in the D800e it stands out a mile. Both lovely shots, you really captured the moments.
12-11-2012, 01:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I guessed right. It really was quite easy.

12-11-2012, 02:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is pretty obvious one is shot with a very wide angle of view, and one with a short telephoto. If the Nikon had the 70-200 VRII, or the Pentax had the DA*16-50, we would have a fair contest.
12-11-2012, 03:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It was obvious. One has that almost large format view camera tonal range.

Most interesting to me was how little this technical difference contributed to making one picture, over all, aesthetically "better" than the other.

My guess is that in a few years, with further development of sensors, the real world practical difference between a FF and a APS-C will have become meaningless for many photographers.

Last edited by wildman; 12-11-2012 at 03:48 AM.
12-11-2012, 03:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pretty easy to see that the first one is the D800E and second is K5
12-11-2012, 06:27 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
>_<
Whoa.

LoL. I am the one who took these pictures and use both cameras for all my shots, and I admit I can't see this tonal range you guys are speaking off >_<.
I also will admit that with the assumption of cropping etc, I can never tell which ones taken with a wide angle and which one is with a telephoto >_<.

Much to learn.

12-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
>_<
Whoa.

LoL. I am the one who took these pictures and use both cameras for all my shots, and I admit I can't see this tonal range you guys are speaking off >_<.
I also will admit that with the assumption of cropping etc, I can never tell which ones taken with a wide angle and which one is with a telephoto >_<.

Much to learn.
Now this is what I call fun!!!

I'm thinking it refers to the no. of gray levels produced or transitions between the shadow areas and highlights. In which case, the D800 is showing much smoother transitions in these particular shots.

HOWEVER...

Since both shots were done under completely different settings(lighting, lenses etc), it would be literally impossible to know just how the K-5 faired against the D800 on equal footing.

IN FACT....

It would be impossible for a human being to identify a .2 difference in DR or .6 difference in tonal range between both camera's. Therefore, the most likely conclusion is that one camera produced a better image. Call it lighting, exposure, OOC image processing(who knows).

HAVING SAID THAT...

I'd be very interested in seeing RAW images taken under equal settings, lighting and lenses between both camera's to further test this theory.

Last edited by JohnBee; 12-11-2012 at 08:37 AM.
12-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm confused (but that's nothing new), both pictures are displayed at 1024 x 678 (or there abouts) why should one have more detail and tonal range because the original shots were with different megapixel sensors, I think the shots are too different to make any meaningful comparisons, the different "look" maybe more to do with the lenses or in camera processing ???
12-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

Maybe......but I think the difference in the two scenes is as much an influence as any tonal differences we see. The first shot is a better scene in my opinion, and a better scene generally influences what we think we see.

Regards!
12-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Tonal range? Too funny. They both have black blacks and white whites, so they both have the same tonal range. Maybe you're talking gradations of tone within the tonal range. But that as well would be nonsense. As for one of them looking like large format, it's interesting comment, but in my opinion, as someone who's actually work in large format, completely devoid of any meaning.

Those are a great couple of shots by the way, thanks for posting. I didn't bother guessing. If one was so clearly superior that I preferred one over the other, I would care. But I don't.
12-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

They might be black and white, but I bet they were converted from color to black and white.
The color tonal rage will have an effect on how the black and white conversion is done. And ... give you different levels of black and white tones.

Overall, first > second.
Next time make it more difficult and shoot both at the same angle and similar lens. That will be a more fair test as well.

Also, first seems to have some slight touch-ups while last doesn't seems to have any.
12-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

My analysis was made based on perspective since you identified the lenses used.
Had you not mentioned the lens it would have been more difficult.
In pic1 nearest girl on left looks disproportionately larger than other subjects behind her which points to a wide angle lens used at close proximity.
In pic2 all subjects near and far have proportional sizes so a normal lens or slight telephoto used from a little distance back.
Still on iPhone so no comment on tonal range etc.
12-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #15
Pentaxian

D800 => wide angle lens
K5 => Telephoto lens

not a good comparison