Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Do you like snow?
Posted By: ve2vfd, 02-14-2008, 01:31 PM

I mean do you REALLY like snow? We have a bit of the stuff here...

A residential street here... what you see between the snow mounds are driveways

Shame it's garbage day...

You know you are in trouble when the snow is as high as the street signs!

Thats the "snow dump" for my borough. Snow is plowed off the main steets and loaded up in dump trucks with large snow-blowers. Then the snow is stored in a "snow dump" until it melts by mid summer. The little yellow blotch you see is a full sized Caterpillar 938 loader so you get an idea of scale...

Oh and the mounds are all snow, not hills covered in snow... this is a flat field in the summer!

I'm in the snow dump and no I am not kneeling, the snow wall cut into the snow mound to my left is about 15ft high.

There is that Cat loader again, the tires are 5ft high to give you an idea of scale.

Thats the special rather big snow blower used to make the snow mountains, it's on the front of the Cat loader.

I wanna move somewhere tropical!!!!

Pat
Views: 4,557
02-14-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow Pat that is boat load of the white stuff! We have had quite a bit here as well, but it pales in comparison. How are the fire hydrants? I know here they are concerned already some are covered in snow - I can only image in your neck of the woods. Those are some really nice shots btw.
02-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
Inactive Account

That's beautiful. Winter is so short so a LOT of snow is awesome. Good shots.

We had some snow in Central Ontario, but not as much as those photos.
02-14-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Looks like Montreal is really having an old fashioned winter! The Farmers Almanac predicted a cold and snowy season - sadly, they were correct. The bank at the end of my driveway is probably 6' high too, and the City is not hauling much of it away from the 'burbs. It is piled 3' high on every downtown street too; makes it hard to get to the parking meters. Jay walking is out of the question as you have to jump the banks of snow on both sides of the street.

I hate winter!

02-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Daacon ... The hydrants are a nightmare in some boroughs, ok in others. Most boroughs public works clear them, but not all... so we got extra shovels on the trucks.

Leaf Fan ... Lots of snow in the backyard! I dunno though, I think winter is long enough!

J.Scott ... Yep, a real old fashionned winter alright! I haven't seen this kind of winter since I was a kid! This much snow is a pain (I'm not a fan of winter either!!!) They only remove snow from the main roads and bus routes here too, residential roads are getting NARROW!

The only good thing about a rough winter is that we usually get an extra-hot summer after a nasty winter. Hmmmm! Heat!

Pat
02-15-2008, 01:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Fantastic! I thought I liked snow; now I'm not so sure. Great photos.

Doesn't all melt 'til mid-summer... yikes...
02-15-2008, 01:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
I mean do you REALLY like snow? We have a bit of the stuff here...
Thats the special rather big snow blower used to make the snow mountains, it's on the front of the Cat loader.
All good shots. The last one is knock-out! Thanks for sharing (am the type that somehow manages to find himself on his rear as soon as we get 5mm).