Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Anybody know what is and why?
Lens: Pentax 55-300 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Naples, Italy 
Posted By: Nick Nero, 12-12-2012, 03:46 PM

Took this last week in a rain drenched Naples, Italy. Trying to find out what the story is behind the statuette and flowers, why and for what purpose someone has placed it there, I thought maybe someone here would know. It´s on the outer edge of a groyne, maybe hundred meters off shore, in the Bay of Naples. Any ideas?

Last edited by Nick Nero; 05-06-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Views: 1,529
12-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know the answer Nick but I like the shot.--charliezap
12-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
I don't know the answer Nick but I like the shot.--charliezap
Thank you, Charlie. Seems it´s gonna remain unanswered but happy you like the shot // Nick
12-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't know the answer either, but I have to say you've captured the dreariness of the weather beautifully! (Here and in the POTW) --Hoping you get some sunshine soon

12-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It looks like something religious. No idea why.
12-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It reminds of the roadside crosses people put up around here at the scene of a fatal traffic accident. I like this picture quite a bit, though!
12-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Could it be there to bless the boats as they pass by? Kind of like blessing the fleet (fishing boats) as they do in Fremantle each year.

12-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Don't know the answer either, but I have to say you've captured the dreariness of the weather beautifully! (Here and in the POTW) --Hoping you get some sunshine soon
Thank you for the nice words, Paul. Did put the 55-300 not-at-all-WR in harms way shooting this in pouring rain. Just had to. You know how it is. // Nick
12-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It looks like something religious. No idea why.
QuoteOriginally posted by ashurbanipal Quote
It reminds of the roadside crosses people put up around here at the scene of a fatal traffic accident. I like this picture quite a bit, though!
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Could it be there to bless the boats as they pass by? Kind of like blessing the fleet (fishing boats) as they do in Fremantle each year.
Well guys, I think we have too few Italians or maybe Catholics on the forum. I´ve also been thinking that either it could be like a madonna or saint watching over the fishermen or to commemorate those already lost at sea like you´re saying. Thanks for having a look. Appreciated // Nick
12-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Nero Quote
Well guys, I think we have too few Italians or maybe Catholics on the forum. I´ve also been thinking that either it could be like a madonna or saint watching over the fishermen or to commemorate those already lost at sea like you´re saying. Thanks for having a look. Appreciated // Nick
I'm italian but i'm not from Naples. For sure this is a Madonna but i actually don't know why it was placed there. Usually in Italy these statuettes are placed along the roads (especially in southern Italy) in very small alcoves, namely "conicelle".
12-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bruce.mclaren Quote
I'm italian but i'm not from Naples. For sure this is a Madonna but i actually don't know why it was placed there. Usually in Italy these statuettes are placed along the roads (especially in southern Italy) in very small alcoves, namely "conicelle".
Thanks, Bruce. When you say it I do remember the same thing from driving around in Portugal many years ago. There they where usually placed at the spot of a fatal accident. Truly appreciate your input and for confirming that Madonna is the proper word. // Nick
12-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Nero Quote
Thanks, Bruce. When you say it I do remember the same thing from driving around in Portugal many years ago. There they where usually placed at the spot of a fatal accident. Truly appreciate your input and for confirming that Madonna is the proper word. // Nick
You're welcome Nero! What you say is true, sometimes theese statuette are placed where fatal accidents occour. Bit generally there isn't a real reason for their location along a road. They are merely places of worship
12-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You're welcome Nero! What you say is true, sometimes theese statuette are placed where fatal accidents occour. Bit generally there isn't a real reason for their location along a road. They are merely places of worship
On our list of things to do is a road trip round the parts of Northern Italy. After last week in Naples I´m even more keen to do that and get more first hand expercience of the country. Again, thank you // Nick
12-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #14

If you're going to come in Parma let me know!there are plenty of good restaurants!
12-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If you're going to come in Parma let me know!there are plenty of good restaurants!
I´ll keep that in mind, thank you