Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  
A walk at Tidbinbilla - K-5iis
Posted By: RobG, 12-16-2012, 05:01 AM

I needed exercise, and I haven't been out much since I got the K-5iis. All these photos were taken at Tidbinbilla Bature Reserve in the Australian Capital Territory, Australia using the K-5iis and Pentax DA 55-300 lens. I went for a walk on the Lyrebird trail, and although I didn't see any Lyrebirds (I did hear one), there was plenty to see. The first photos on the trail went to this Golden Whistler. I recorded his beautiful call using the video mode on the camera before he moved to a spot where I could see him.

There were several creek crossings on the trail. The water was very clear, filtered through the coarse granite soil.

At 400ISO handheld, I really should have taken a tripod with me.

There was a trail book at the start of the walk, and someone had noted seeing a Red Bellied Black Snake. Sadly, I didn't see one - they may be potentially deadly, but they're also very pretty. The only reptiles I saw were a couple of Golden Water Skinks. Both had lost their tails in the past and were growing them back.

Although the forest is now green, and many trees have survived, many died in the 2003 firestorm.

At the end of the trail, I was greeted by butterflies. This one deigned to stay still long enough to be photographed.

I then drove to the wetlands area, where I found a numbr of Magpie Geese.

Across the road, another fenced-off area protected potoroos, koalas and Swamp Wallabies. I only saw Swamp Wallabies.

On the drive out, I stopped to photograph an emu, which unfortunately was not cooperative, but this Australian Raven wandered past and glared at me with blue eyes.

Tidbinbilla is known for its large population of Grey Kangaroos, and I saw plenty of them on the drive out.

A different Emu at the picnic area was more coperative, but seemed to be having a bad hair day.

Just outside the gates of the park, I stopped to allow a group of about twenty Wood Ducks to cross the road.

Did I mention - I love this camera?

Views: 1,947
12-17-2012, 04:19 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great series I enjoyed every one. I share the appreciation of the beauty or the red bellied black snake having seen a few in the past but I have no regrets in not getting close enough to photograph one.

12-17-2012, 04:50 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Great series I enjoyed every one. I share the appreciation of the beauty or the red bellied black snake having seen a few in the past but I have no regrets in not getting close enough to photograph one.
Thanks Bruce! Always treat snakes as dangerous and give them plenty of space. Never do anything to upset them! They do a great job of controlling pests like rats and mice. I've seen lots of snakes over the years, and the only one which looked like it wanted to bite me was a Small Eyed Snake that I nearly stepped on. Even then, it was mostly bluff; he settled down and went away.
12-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You obviously had a great day out and a good day with the camera. As a 55-300 owner myself and pondering a K-5 iis, it does seem to be producing the goods. Must get to Canberra properly at some stage, only been there for 4 hours in my entire life.
12-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
You obviously had a great day out and a good day with the camera. As a 55-300 owner myself and pondering a K-5 iis, it does seem to be producing the goods.
If you have any hesitation, get a K-5ii.

QuoteQuote:
Must get to Canberra properly at some stage, only been there for 4 hours in my entire life.
Next year is the centenary, so it's a good time to visit!

12-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Sweet shots with that combo Rob. I have that lens and it performs very well.I just bought the Bigma from Adorama today and should have it a day or 2.--charliezap
12-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Really enjoyed the series. Great job with the new camera and that lens.
12-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Sweet shots with that combo Rob. I have that lens and it performs very well.I just bought the Bigma from Adorama today and should have it a day or 2.
Thanks Charlie! I'll be interested to see the results with the Bigma. I was considering a lens like that, but at this stage I'm planning to get the DA*300. Although it's a lot shorter, I'm hoping that the extra resolution of the DA*300 will provide a significant improvement over the DA55-300. It would want to for three times the price!

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Really enjoyed the series. Great job with the new camera and that lens.
Thanks Susan! It was a fun afternoon and I was extremely happy with the results.

12-29-2012, 03:26 AM   #23

Great series Rob. I've been out walking through a couple of the local bust reverses around here, but wildlife has been very lacking. Hopefully the recent rains may change that.
12-29-2012, 05:17 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Had no idea the 55-300 could be that sharp, absolutely incredible.
12-29-2012, 05:21 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A great series! I love the bird shots.
12-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great job Rob, what a wonderful place to get out and photograph. Such a varied amount of wildlife in the area, it deserves a repeat visit.
01-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by markl62 Quote
Great series Rob. I've been out walking through a couple of the local bust reverses around here, but wildlife has been very lacking. Hopefully the recent rains may change that.
Thanks! Hope you got to see some wildlife! Not we've apparently got a drought-condition summer, so the wildlife will all be heading for water.

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Had no idea the 55-300 could be that sharp, absolutely incredible.
Thanks! I was already impressed with the lens for the price, but the K5iis makes it even better!

QuoteOriginally posted by patjp Quote
A great series! I love the bird shots.
Thanks Pat! I was really happy with the Whistler shot. At first I thought all I was going to get was a recording of the call.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Great job Rob, what a wonderful place to get out and photograph. Such a varied amount of wildlife in the area, it deserves a repeat visit.
Thanks Bob! I paid my entry fee for another year, so I'll be back!