Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
San Jacinto Mountains
Lens: DA* 60-250 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: San Jacinto Mountains 
Posted By: baro-nite, 12-16-2012, 12:16 PM

Yesterday I had a long out-and-back walk on the Pacific Crest Trail south of the San Gorgonio Pass. A beautiful weekend day and yet in 7 hours of walking I never saw another hiker. All shots with the DA*60-250 except for the one at 45mm, which was with the DA 16-45.

Near the start of my walk, approaching the northern edge of the mountain range:

60mm f/7.1

2 hours into the walk, a look west at another spur at the northern end of the range, looking across the Coachella Valley to the town of Desert Hot Springs, with the Little San Bernardino Mountains and Joshua Tree National Park in the distance. Should have brought out the polarizer for this one:

60mm, f/5.6

A little farther along and the views into the heart of the San Jacinto range start really opening up:

108mm, f/6.3

108mm, f/6.3

The light goes early this time of year; making my way back down in mid-afternoon, a glimpse at San Jacinto Peak (I think):

45mm, f/7.1

A little later still, last direct light:

128mm, f/6.3

All straight RAW conversions except the last two, which have some selective exposure adjustments. Thanks for joining me!
Views: 1,397
12-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks to be quite a brisk day Jeff, very familiar mountain ranges, but it has been years since I hiked in them. Your photos really show the ruggedness and at the same time beauty of the area. I think San Jacinto peak is a little less than 11,000' quite a sight from the Palm Springs area. Thanks for the view. Bob
12-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful shots, baro-nite!
12-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is my kind of hiking. You do all the work and we get all the benefits. Beautiful images.

12-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all! It was a beautiful day for a walk, with cool air, not too much wind, and sun. The only lack was better views into the San Gorgonio range (across the Pass); it was wreathed in cloud most of the day.
12-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice to see these. People think of Palm Springs as a chic resort, but there are so many wonderful landscapes in the area, like this one. Your first photo is really outstanding with the interesting texture and color in the foreground framing the dramatic background scene. Did you get out to Joshua Tree while you were in that area? Another great place for photography.
12-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Jerry -- only had time for one short stop in Joshua Tree this time, but that is one of my favorite places.