Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  
Autumn Birds in East Tennessee
Posted By: mole, 12-17-2012, 07:06 PM

Late autumn is a great time to "sneak up" on some of our feathered winter residents, to learn about their behavior and snap a few shots as well.

Our resident Black Vultures thrive on the cool and damp. When rigorous weather spells death for the more delicate creatures, it just means more lunch for the vultures!

Here are a few of these hardy birds, enjoying a cool morning sunbath.

And here's an individual black vulture portrait - showing off his beautiful looks and warm personality!!

Mockingbird is our Tennessee State Bird, and the state bird of at least 4 other states. Nice one to photograph for a number of reasons. They are here year-round, so it's not too hard to learn their habits and behaviors. They are very territorial - especially when defending their berry thickets in the late autumn and winter, so it's fairly easy to sneak up on them if you move slowly. And they spend a lot of time in open places at field-edges, where it's easier to get photos without lots of twigs in the way!

Here are some shots of a Mockingbird on a drizzly day (you might see a few raindrops on his feathers). He was picking at some bits of hickory nuts left by the park squirrels. I was lying on the ground, at face level to him, and he pretty much ignored me!

And one sunny shot - showing how much detail is revealed by early morning sun, and showing a bird who likes our park signs!

Here's another common year-round resident here in East Tennessee - the Tufted Titmouse. I am frequently amazed at the diversity of their diet. They do like the sunflowers in our bird feeders, but we've also seen them eating Kudzu seeds, insect eggs, hickory nuts, moths, etc. etc. This one found a spider egg sac for lunch!

Speaking of odd lunches, our Red-Bellied Woodpeckers usually peck various insects out of diseased trees. But this one has a mouthful of hickory nut!

Belted Kingfishers are common along the tree-lined shores of the home park's lake. They see to enjoy taunting photographers! Will perch close to a trail, watching passing hikers, dog-walkers, etc seemingly unconcerned. But have a camera with you, and they call that laugh-like call, and flee across the lake!

Here's one of the better shots I've managed so far.

Some very noisy crows helped us spot this young Red Tailed Hawk. All the "crow commotion" helped us notice the hawk. Hawk was out enjoying the early morning sun up high in the treetops, and completely ignoring the crows. He looks a bit odd in these photos because of the perspective.

This juvenile Sharp Shinned Hawk was nice enough to "pose" for some portraits. One of my favorite birds, but rarely get the chance to photograph them.

PS - If you check the exif data on these shots, you may be surprised to see which lens was used. This was an injured bird, photos taken while bird was in my hand. just prior to release.

I usually think of GB Herons as very shy birds. But each winter, we seem to find at least one very bold individual at the home park, usually a juvenile...

It seems I'm always striving to get the sharpest, clearest bird photos in the best light. But our resident "foolish young" GB Heron reminds me that soft photos are ok too...

Not only has this GBH taught me about lighting, but apparently he's taught himself to read park signs!!

Have had many more opportunities to "pester" our park birds with camera in hand, but will save these photos for later.

Will close now with just two cormorant views - probably telling me what he thinks of me!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to look, and to share your comments & critique!

Views: 6,926
12-20-2012, 05:26 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Incredible!!!!!! I love the vulture shots, but they are all outstanding! You must be very proud of these!! I am envious. Super shooting, thank you for sharing