Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Bad Eats, DON'T LOOK IF YOU ARE A VEGETARIAN OR HAVE A WEEK STOMACH
Posted By: Schraubstock, 12-17-2012, 10:20 PM

Hi

I see a few "Good Eats" contributions here from time to time and decided to show the other side of it.

Not trying to offend anybody hence the "Not work safe Category". I travel throughout Asia a lot (China, Hong Kong, Vietnam Cambodia) and come across these sort of sights frequently. I could stick my head into the sand and pretend it does not exist but the world is a kaleidoscope with many facets and, as a photographer, to show only the good and not the bad is not my thing. So again, don't feel offended and if you are - you have been warned not to look.

No hate mail please, in street photography I take pictures as they present themselves.

I must say though during all my travels throughout Asia I never been confronted with serious food poisoning. I try to eat only in the best places, in well known international hotels or restaurants. I probably kid myself; where do they get their supplies from ? I never eat in so called street eateries even though some of the stuff on offer there look delicious and probably is okay. A friend of mine quite regularly eats in street places and never has come down with anything. (Nothing serious anyway). Maybe he has build up some resistance.

The probable reason is that refrigeration is usually not used in these places which means only what will be consumed on a daily basis is bought fresh from the market every day and there it is supplied fresh every day also. It is interesting to know that in the western world the greatest source of food poisoning stems from incorrect refrigeration. (Thawing out and refreezing) Or keeping food at wrong temperatures.

These pictures where taken in Hong Kong, Cambodia and Vietnam. I have many more pics but some of them possibly are a bit too much "below the belt" even for open minded people.

The last photo is of a fish whose name I cannot remember, caught in the Mekong Delta and is a specialty of the area and very tasty.

Finally, a note to Rupert. Do not show these pics to Otis, I fear he will be scared senseless, turn on his heels and run for the hills never to be seen again.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 02-16-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Views: 2,534
12-22-2012, 04:08 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
very nice documentary series on "Post festum" (missing the first stage), treatment and relationship to food (not just in Asia)! I'm a little disappointed in your thinking, in terms of quality (association of infection). Without hesitation, I must say that the most unhealthy food they eat, Americans!
True, we do not hear often about food poisoning, but why? So what is "American" food soaked with a vast amount of "chemicals", especially poultry (chickens, etc.)! This raises the question! Who better "toxic-tainted"?
Complete Euro-Asia has a nearly identical preservation of meat and meat products!
My opinion is that you're completely covered things!
A little joke! Fish out of the concept, unless it is smoked?
greeting

12-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #32
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Velja Quote
True, we do not hear often about food poisoning, but why?
Actually, there have been multiple incidents in the news in recent years, but rarely involving meat. It's been lettuce, alfalfa sprouts (several different incidents), peanut butter, and a few others. Foods that you wouldn't expect to have issues but were contaminated during processing. The pictures here are of a place that actually appears to be far cleaner than the ones I saw of the peanut butter facility in that produced the latest recalled products.