Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Bad Eats, DON'T LOOK IF YOU ARE A VEGETARIAN OR HAVE A WEEK STOMACH
Posted By: Schraubstock, 12-17-2012, 10:20 PM

Hi

I see a few "Good Eats" contributions here from time to time and decided to show the other side of it.

Not trying to offend anybody hence the "Not work safe Category". I travel throughout Asia a lot (China, Hong Kong, Vietnam Cambodia) and come across these sort of sights frequently. I could stick my head into the sand and pretend it does not exist but the world is a kaleidoscope with many facets and, as a photographer, to show only the good and not the bad is not my thing. So again, don't feel offended and if you are - you have been warned not to look.

No hate mail please, in street photography I take pictures as they present themselves.

I must say though during all my travels throughout Asia I never been confronted with serious food poisoning. I try to eat only in the best places, in well known international hotels or restaurants. I probably kid myself; where do they get their supplies from ? I never eat in so called street eateries even though some of the stuff on offer there look delicious and probably is okay. A friend of mine quite regularly eats in street places and never has come down with anything. (Nothing serious anyway). Maybe he has build up some resistance.

The probable reason is that refrigeration is usually not used in these places which means only what will be consumed on a daily basis is bought fresh from the market every day and there it is supplied fresh every day also. It is interesting to know that in the western world the greatest source of food poisoning stems from incorrect refrigeration. (Thawing out and refreezing) Or keeping food at wrong temperatures.

These pictures where taken in Hong Kong, Cambodia and Vietnam. I have many more pics but some of them possibly are a bit too much "below the belt" even for open minded people.

The last photo is of a fish whose name I cannot remember, caught in the Mekong Delta and is a specialty of the area and very tasty.

Finally, a note to Rupert. Do not show these pics to Otis, I fear he will be scared senseless, turn on his heels and run for the hills never to be seen again.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 02-16-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Views: 2,535
12-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
Your pictures, while offensive to some, do record reality! I personally prefer reality, as opposed to Hollywoods corrupted, sanitized version of reality! There is a real world out there! It would do our society good to actually re- learn where food comes from and actually see what it takes to feed millions of people!

We're carnivores! My only problem is the lack of sanitation! Guess after a while one just acquires an immunity or dies!

I was raised on a farm. We butchered pigs, sheep, chickens and cattle on a continuous basis to pay the bills. Still do but not nearly as much. Like they say, "we used everything on the pig but the " oink". I didn't know butter was yellow until I was in high school - real farm churned dairy butter is not yellow! There is a distinct difference in store bought eggs and range feed chicken's eggs!
We're not carnivores, though - we're omnivores :-) But other than that quibble, spot on!

Jim

12-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pork-fat rules, great images, thanks for showing.
12-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
you yourself have already determine that what you show here is "bad".
You are putting words in my mouth - I certainly have not ! But a lifetime of experience has has taught me that what I think is not always resonating with others. I don't know all the people in this forum so I was just careful.

So I don't think these pictures are offensive but I bet there are some that may think otherwise.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Greetings
12-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
We're not carnivores, though - we're omnivores :-) But other than that quibble, spot on!

Jim
Well Jim, when I'm eating a steak I'm a carnivore. When I'm eating a salad I'm a herbivore. When I'm wolfing down a slice of combination pizza I'm expressing my omnivore side! Bears are placed in the carnivore species.....did you even see a Brown Bear eating Blue Berries? Brown Bears love berries!

12-19-2012, 03:32 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I bypassed this last night but opted to look see this morning. I am not offended by any of the images; in fact, I could go a nice rib or two. I owned a farm once where I butchered my own animals and it doesn't bother me at all to see real life of meats/fishes. My dad used to say, if you caught it, you cleaned it. Enough said!
Seems like I misjudged most people her, did not want to take the chance to cause offence.
Greetings

QuoteOriginally posted by IanS Quote
Your series brings back a lot of memories, I've eaten that fish and from memory it was called an "Elephants Ear Fish" and it was very tasty. We haven't had any bad experiences with street food and it tastes a lot better than the westernised hotel food. Cheers
Street food actually does look inviting and I did have the odd sampling and did not come down with anything. Thanks for commenting.

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Looks like good eats to me.
As a previous poster pointed out a lot of this is used in western dishes also, it's only when you see all heaped up like this...

Greetings

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Pork-fat rules, great images, thanks for showing.
Thanks for the comment.

Greetings
12-19-2012, 03:45 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Interesting choice for a series though.
Hi
Flower shots and sunsets seem to be the going thing for a lot of people. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with this and I enjoy looking at them, I like to seek out something different from time to time.

Greetings
12-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #22
Veteran Member

You have shattered all my illusions. All these years I thought there was a farm where wings grew.

Nice real life series.

12-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
Well Jim, when I'm eating a steak I'm a carnivore. When I'm eating a salad I'm a herbivore. When I'm wolfing down a slice of combination pizza I'm expressing my omnivore side! Bears are placed in the carnivore species.....did you even see a Brown Bear eating Blue Berries? Brown Bears love berries!
I've seen a grizzly digging for roots, but not berries :-) *Accurate* placement of bears is as omnivores, with a strong tendency to the carnivore side of things

Jim
12-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Very nice informative series.It's all what we are used to.--charliezap
12-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #25

Thank you for posting such an interesting series. I found nothing offensive about them. I have taken similar shots at an open market in England - plenty of fish, meat and offal just sitting there waiting for a buyer. Butchers with bloody aprons serving customers (and though I didn't check I expect money was taken and change made before going back to handling meat). We saw rabbits and wild game hanging as well as pigeons. My Canadaian raised adult kid was amazed and wondered whether there were any food safety laws in place? .
When I was a kid that same open market was where my food came from.
12-21-2012, 03:12 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good pictures. I like the colours in the markets.

As for food safety - I would eat any of it after cooking. I am convinced that food is actually much tougher thant he food hygiene mob make out, and that really they put all kinds of stringent regulations on because they are not willing to deal instantly and draconianly with egregious actions. Ther was a terrible case in Adelaide some years ago - a smallgoods company had products which killed several peopel, but apparently they were loading meat with green moulds into the sausages.

The advantage of many of these markets is that the food is very freshly slaughtered, and in the case of fish is actually alive in the market. The degradation happens only on the way home. And people tend to buy today what they will eat today becasue they like the taste of fresh food.
12-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
You have shattered all my illusions. All these years I thought there was a farm where wings grew.

Nice real life series.
Hi

Colbyt, I am heartbroken to have demolished your illusions ! However I am pleased you were able to overcome your grieve to give my a positive appraisal. Please enjoy a nice Xmas.

Greetings
12-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Very nice informative series.It's all what we are used to.--charliezap
Thanks,

You are completely right of course, they do what they are used to and we do it our way. On a slightly different matter but just to point out differences between countries, when I go to Japan I can never get used to "slurping" soups and noodles. And they always look at me when I don't do it as if to say - Don't you like the food ?

Happy Xmas
12-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by canajuneh Quote
Thank you for posting such an interesting series. I found nothing offensive about them. I have taken similar shots at an open market in England - plenty of fish, meat and offal just sitting there waiting for a buyer. Butchers with bloody aprons serving customers (and though I didn't check I expect money was taken and change made before going back to handling meat). We saw rabbits and wild game hanging as well as pigeons. My Canadaian raised adult kid was amazed and wondered whether there were any food safety laws in place? .
When I was a kid that same open market was where my food came from.
Thanks for the comments

greetings
12-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Good pictures. I like the colours in the markets.

The advantage of many of these markets is that the food is very freshly slaughtered, and in the case of fish is actually alive in the market. The degradation happens only on the way home. And people tend to buy today what they will eat today becasue they like the taste of fresh food.
Hi

This is exactly the point I made.

We go to the supermarket and buy smallgoods, enough to last us for some days. It has been sitting refrigerated at the supermarket for several days, we take it home and then take it in and out of the fridge several times over several days. The food will go through several warming and cooling cycles. Nasty bugs love this.

Greetings and thanks for the comments