Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Bovine-N-Devine
Lens: Tamron Adaptall 103A Camera: K5 Photo Location: Cottonwood, CA USA 
Posted By: WillH, 12-18-2012, 05:18 PM

Finally, got out an about this afternoon! Cold north wind! I do believe winter is here!

Took a few portraits of the "Gals" and their young'ens for the fun of it!

I think we're pregnant!

The Blonde!

Gotta itch!

The ultimate fast food, or meals on hooves!

When I grow up I wanna be the bull!

Snapped a quick shot of the Pacific Coast Range. Coooold! Come on Tess, warm it a little before sending it down

Views: 1,414
12-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Man, had I taken these great shots, I'd milk 'em for all they're worth. Seriously, great pics that made me smile.

Jer
12-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
all the stock looks to be in great shape Will, nice to get them settled in for winter. How many calves do you expect next year?
12-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
all the stock looks to be in great shape Will, nice to get them settled in for winter. How many calves do you expect next year?
130 healthy calves would be good! Damn it's cold. They're talking snow for us on Thursday! Burrrrrrr.......

Sailor, those calves are just about ready to leave mama! No more free meals!

12-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice healthy looking cattle and calves always look cute!
12-19-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice set Will - they sure look good and healthy. Are these the ones you just had delivered the other day?
12-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Nice set Will - they sure look good and healthy. Are these the ones you just had delivered the other day?
Yulp! Those are a few of them.....didn't photograph them all. The cattle spend their summer in the mountains and then winter here! We bring then to the ranch as soon as it snows in the mountains! Been doing this annual migration for over a hundred years. When I was a kid we walked the stock back and forth - didn't use trucks. Took us about three days to move stock back and forth! Three days walking to the mountains and three days waling to bring them back. We took the stock right down the highway! Imagine doing that today!

12-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That's very interesting - thanks for sharing the details.

As you say - modern times I guess. Still, in my younger days, I think the 3 day cattle drive on horseback would have been my preferred method.
12-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's very interesting - thanks for sharing the details.

As you say - modern times I guess. Still, in my younger days, I think the 3 day cattle drive on horseback would have been my preferred method.
That's was during the 50's for me! I was on the last cattle drive! I loved it! No school! Camping out with the older men was fun! They taught me drink wine from a bota bag and explained the secrets of life including what was expected of a man in all things! It was amazing! The wagons are gone as well as the horses that pulled them. We still have the old cook wagon! I was given my first pocket knife and rifle on one of those drives. Lost the knife but still have the rifle! Damn it was a grand life! I miss the heck outta it!

Photo of the old bunk house we had in the mountains. It's now a line shack on the ranch, used for storing fencing! Also, a snap shot of the herd taken about three years ago with a cheap little digital camera!

Last edited by WillH; 01-12-2013 at 04:30 PM.
12-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Neat stuff Will. Not complaining, but I am having a hard time absorbing the fact that trucks are used to move cattle instead of the drive on horseback. I'm sure there are very good reasons to do so - just kind of took me by surprise.

I bet those drives when you were a kid were fantastic - experiences that will last anyone a lifetime!

Thanks for sharing the story behind the photos - really brings it home for me.
12-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Neat stuff Will. Not complaining, but I am having a hard time absorbing the fact that trucks are used to move cattle instead of the drive on horseback. I'm sure there are very good reasons to do so - just kind of took me by surprise.

I bet those drives when you were a kid were fantastic - experiences that will last anyone a lifetime!

Thanks for sharing the story behind the photos - really brings it home for me.
Stan, there is no way you can walk livestock down a public roadway today! You must use the roads because there is not enough open land to move livestock from point A to point B! The ONLY solution is to truck the livestock! We move the livestock approximately 70 miles.
12-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
Stan, there is no way you can walk livestock down a public roadway today! You must use the roads because there is not enough open land to move livestock from point A to point B! The ONLY solution is to truck the livestock! We move the livestock approximately 70 miles.
Oh - OK - didn't realize that. I kind of missed that point when you said driving them down the road in the 50's.
12-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great photographs! I really enjoy these.
David
12-20-2012, 12:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Great photographs! I really enjoy these.
David
Glad you liked them David! Gives me something to do! I keep thinking my photography will improve.......it hasn't Still fun!

Stan, forgot to mention the road clean up! Can you imagine! If we put cattle on the road today we would be forced to scrub the pavement behind us! Imagine cleaning 70 miles of highway!
12-20-2012, 03:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Nice series Will I see some of my favorites in there (Rib Eye , Sirloin and T-bone!). Cold ??? Come up here I'll show ya cold hahah.