Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Some advice on this pic please
Posted By: jaws, 02-16-2008, 12:44 AM

Could I have some advise on how to improve this photo, the post has blown out and and can't be fixed by pp, how could I have taken this photo without blowing out the highlights on the post yet making the rest of the scene bright enough.
Many thanks for any help.

Cheers,
john

Views: 1,512
02-16-2008, 12:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not on my own computer, and this monitor appears to be very dark to me.
However the post sure doesn't look blown out to me

Depending upon what software your using you may be able to selectively change the white balance on the post, without changing the rest of the picture much
(ACDSEE Pro will let you do such things)
02-16-2008, 12:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With a shot like this, It can be tough. You can use the spot meter to expose the post and let the background go darker. Then adjust the background in PP by masking the post and working on the other parts of the image. Second it could be shot with the intention of an HDR process later by combining 3-5 images but must be shot on a tripod. 3rd would be a multi exposure in camera. Sort of a camera done HDR that can be very effective with many scenes.
02-16-2008, 01:41 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, the tripod is not an option as this was a quick few shots waiting for a ferry but I guess I could do a 3 shot bracket and combine the shots and maybe then the post would blend better?

cheers,
john

02-16-2008, 01:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
With a shot like this, It can be tough. 3rd would be a multi exposure in camera. Sort of a camera done HDR that can be very effective with many scenes.
Hi Peter, Please could you explain in a little more detail how you would go about your third option.

Paul
02-16-2008, 05:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Paul, I've tried it only a few times and not quite this type of scene but basically having the camera take a multi exposure that is one frame. The camera combines the shots and adjusts the metering for each frame (I'm talking about the K10D) that are to be combined or layered to create the single frame. I've done it with a few waterfall shots and sunsets where the water/sky often gets washed out in a single frame. It seems to work well but not as good as a real software based HDR.

rying to do this or a 3 shot bracket without a tripod though is near impossible. The shots will not line up.
02-16-2008, 06:57 AM   #7

Well, on my calibreated monitor the post IS blown out.

The easiest way to avoid such things - Zoom alot closer to the post, so it takes large part of the zoomed image, the press AE-Lock button. This will fix the exposure needed for normal brightness of the post. Then zoome out, compose the shot. The surroundings will be dark, alot darker, then you'll want them. That's ok. Take the shot.
After that use Photoshop to control levels of the photo (CTRL+L) and Shadow/Highlight option (Image->Adjustments->Shadow/Highlight) to get what you want from the dark image you've taken.

Hope that helped

02-16-2008, 06:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Big fan of multi-exposure mode here..

With that shot, you could bring out the shadows, knock down the highlights and, turn the water into a smokey ethereal soup.

Tripod is a must. 2-sec delay mode for mirror lock-up and use a remote to reduce camera shake.
02-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments, yes for me AE-lock would be a good idea,all I have to do is remember!

cheers,
John
02-17-2008, 09:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Paul, I've tried it only a few times and not quite this type of scene but basically having the camera take a multi exposure that is one frame. The camera combines the shots and adjusts the metering for each frame (I'm talking about the K10D) that are to be combined or layered to create the single frame. I've done it with a few waterfall shots and sunsets where the water/sky often gets washed out in a single frame. It seems to work well but not as good as a real software based HDR.

rying to do this or a 3 shot bracket without a tripod though is near impossible. The shots will not line up.
Thanks Peter, Paul