Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Industrial wasteland. First attempt at an editorial shoot.
Lens: 24-70 f2,8 Camera: d800 Photo Location: Barcelona ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Coeurdechene, 12-19-2012, 01:33 PM

Hi, been away for some time, and i kind of missed the mood of this forum...now that i'm here again, well i wanted to show my first attempt at creating something like an editorial shoot.
I've managed to cover some events as a photographer and now i want to try to build up a portfolio with the lighting and techniques i've learned up till now (adding the other part that i lack: postprocessing). This is my first attempt, i might have overdone it with the PP, but i think i have achieved the ambience i was aiming for.
If anyone has critiques, tips, advice i would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks

Well it ain't quite finished...i feel the last one is lonely, and want to add a couple more like that one, with the same colour scheme and daytime.
Next step will be Model mayhem to see if i can get other faces, and build 3-4 different shoots.
Views: 1,069
12-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

OK, I'm not a professional, so take this with many grains of salt.
I think the second and fourth are too redundant in image, and the fourth and fifth are too redundant in feeling. I'd lose the fourth one.
Yes, other faces or at least other costumes. Don't try to duplicate the images or even the feel. Keep moving on.
Good work.
No, not too much Photoshop.
Thanks for sharing.
12-21-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply
Yep i really gotta get some more people to play...I already made a profile in MM so i hope i'll be able to convince somebody with one of the ideas i've got running around in my head. And definitely need to find some more clothing (what you can see is most of our wardrobe ).
Thanks again for the input, and i think i'll try to get a couple more in the theme-ambience with new clothing and lose the fourth as you advice. We haven't exploited the place with the pipes to it's full potential yet, that place is amazing.
12-21-2012, 02:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very good, 2nd one especially. Wouldn't look out of place in a fashion magazine, so good job!

12-21-2012, 03:24 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like 2 and 4 - the red jacket, the sharpness and lighting is great!
12-21-2012, 05:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!
The second one is my favourite too..i like the look she gave me and how the skin looks.
The jacket is one of our alltime favourite found object, we picked it up from a thrown pile of clothing in the streets .
12-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

2, 3 and 4 are awesome! the gas mask freaks me out, so they are effectively very good---very good political statements for sure. Intriguing work! I look forward to seeing your build this portfolio
12-21-2012, 05:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I should add that I agree with jford that you should expand your repertoire of mood and statement... but love this start!

12-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!
It looks like things are on the ascending wave, today i did my first fashion shoot with a model. It was great! And when i talked to her about the look i want to work on she seemed to dig the concept. Now i'll assemble a nice moodboard with phrases, stills from some movies that inspire me, some songs and sketches and i'll send it to her.

Today wasn't really my style, although i got some pics i'm very happy with, but maybe i'll have a new face soon!
Beginning monday i'll scout vintage stores and small designer stores to see if their willing to lend me clothes in exchange for pics...if not i'll have to find money somewhere since my wardrobe is really limited.
Yay!
Gotta say your encouraging replies helped me push and jump into today's shoot...so Thanks again!.