Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
What caused this line?
Posted By: BeerCan, 02-16-2008, 01:42 PM

I was testing out the new lens I got yesterday (voigtlander 180) and on some of my shots I got a strange red line and some weird specs. Now I am pretty much a noob with dslr so I have no idea what it is. I took a series of pics from the same spot and it is in about half of them. This pic is untouched it is just resized.

Thanks for the help.
Views: 1,564
02-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I have no idea what the red line is, but the specks are most likely dust on your sensor. Either you can clone them out in post processing, or clean your sensor to get rid of them.
02-16-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BeerCan Quote
I was testing out the new lens I got yesterday (voigtlander 180) and on some of my shots I got a strange red line and some weird specs. ...(snip)

Are you seeing this red line in images taken elsewhere? If not, I suspect it may be the result of digital noise (interference) from the overhead power lines. As you may have heard, power lines are now being used to carry digital signals (internet, cellphone, etc) and radio operators (ARRL) and others (NATO (.pdf)) all over are screaming bloody murder about BPL/PLT interference to all types of electronic devices. Stay far enough away from power lines and the problem may never reappear.

stewart
02-17-2008, 04:38 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
It would be nice to see other pics with this apparition. If it is 'digital noise' I'll eat my hat! Look on the surface of the lens. Take it off the camera and hold it up to a bright light - see anything on or in the lens? Flip up the mirror on the camera and see if there isn't something on the surface of the sensor.

02-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
It would be nice to see other pics with this apparition. If it is 'digital noise' I'll eat my hat! Look on the surface of the lens. Take it off the camera and hold it up to a bright light - see anything on or in the lens? Flip up the mirror on the camera and see if there isn't something on the surface of the sensor.
I will post up some other pics with the line a little later. The pic I am posting now was two shutter clicks and about 3 seconds after the first pic I posted. No line no specs
02-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
(snip) If it is 'digital noise' I'll eat my hat! (snip)

If the red line appears in some images and not others, it is very likely intermittent digital noise (not something on the lens, sensor, or whatever). And indeed, he has shown two images here, one with and one without. Therefore, I stand by my earlier assessment. I would ask if you want me to pass the salt, but I doubt you're yet fully convinced.

stewart
02-17-2008, 02:09 PM   #7

Original Poster
I posted all the photos with the red line in them for anyone who is interested
Thanks
redline
02-17-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the spots are birds in the bg- the line is really weird

02-17-2008, 10:51 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The red line doesn't appear in the first (441) or last (452) shots, but is in all the rest. The interesting thing is your position is different in 441 and 452 from all the rest - in which you appear to have taken the shots from the same position. Changing positions could definately change the impact or effect of EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) or RFI (radio frequency interference).

Another interesting thing about the red line is it appears to be "broken" or "dashed" - which *could* relate to electronic pulses - - so I'm kinda leaning Stewart's way on this.

Or, a simpler viewpoint is that the hawk is having some sort of intestional difficulty!!
02-17-2008, 11:39 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks like some flotsam in your mirror box. I'd take a bright light and inspect the inside of the camera with the shutter open. Looks like a small piece of red monofilament thread.