Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Leafscapes
Lens: Pentax D-FA Macro 100 mm f/2.8 WR Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Backyard 
Posted By: GeoJerry, 12-22-2012, 03:59 PM

Attempting some macros again. We are still having autumn leaves out here, so I caught a few leaves in direct sun, and was finally able to get a few sharp images (OK some more so than others) with acceptable DOF.

This last one, a poinsettia, is somewhere between a leaf and a flower, but I squeezed it in here as a way of saying... Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited by GeoJerry; 12-23-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Views: 663
12-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful! I especially like the backlighting on #3. Unfortunately a couple of them aren't appearing ("not available").

And you said you can't "do" macros... I certainly think you can!
12-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Beautiful! I especially like the backlighting on #3. Unfortunately a couple of them aren't appearing ("not available").

And you said you can't "do" macros... I certainly think you can!
Well, I appreciate that! But I cheated a little. My problem with macros is getting enough DOF, and so for these I picked vary "skinny" subjects. So I can do leafs. Next, a flower.

The other pictures should be fixed.
12-24-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Onward, yes! A good start.

FWIW, in re the poinsettia, the red parts are indeed leaves, which turn color (to red, or depending on the hybrid, white or pink) when the plant flowers. The flowers are the little yellow bits in the center. Same thing for bougainvillea, the brightly colored parts are just colored leaves, the flowers are the tiny little yellow or white parts in the center.

Practice, a steady hand (steadier than mine, you may be sure...I am in constant awe of EM's hands), and interesting subjects. And practice...

Go for it, and warmest wishes for the holidays!

12-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks again! We also have bougainvillea and I thought it might be the case that what we think are the flowers are actually leaves. Merry Christmas!