Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sacramento Tower Bridge (Long Exposure)
Lens: Kit 18-55 Camera: K-r ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s 
Posted By: DominicDom, 12-25-2012, 11:17 PM

Sacramento Tower Bridge Long Exposure on Flickr

I took this picture from a very small island in the middle of the road where my tripod could barely fit. Thought it turned out well. It was a 25 sec exposure
Views: 1,582
12-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Like the photo... I used to live a few blocks from there and shot many similar shots. Never from the specific location you were at... I used to use the wider island a block or two back with a zoom lens. I was a bit chicken to stand where you are for this photo.
12-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
Like the photo... I used to live a few blocks from there and shot many similar shots. Never from the specific location you were at... I used to use the wider island a block or two back with a zoom lens. I was a bit chicken to stand where you are for this photo.
Thanks, and that sounds like a more safe and better option than I made. I didn't even think about that. I may have to go back to get that angle. It could even be a better shot from back there.
12-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DominicDom Quote
Thanks, and that sounds like a more safe and better option than I made. I didn't even think about that. I may have to go back to get that angle. It could even be a better shot from back there.
Well... there are a couple of problems as you move backward. 1. If you only step a short distance back (say around 3rd street), you end up shooting upward even more towards the bridge and the road going over the freeway. 2. You end up feeling like you are shooting down a tunnel because of the two buildings on each side of the road leading up to the bridge. However, if you can get back even further, say around 7th street (and you have enough reach 200~300 mm), you can get some pretty cool shots as well.

I used to shoot a lot of photos of that bridge because I had lived close by. However, looking at some older photos I took, they were all pre-dslr for me.

Anyway, I'm not sure if you are local or not, but the one thing I remember is that around Chinese New Year (which should come up in January or February), they would lite the bridge up using red flood lites. It was pretty cool. I'm not sure if they still do that or not as I now only see the bridge during the day (work near the capital).

A last thing; with the Sacramento River high like it is now, it can be cool to get shots up or down-stream from the bridge, especially at night. The water appears to be right up under the bridge, and the reflections can be cool with a longer exposure. I'll have to upload a couple of shots I took in the past... I'll see what I can find tomorrow.

It is a neat little bridge, and the views from around the river area there are photogenic for landscape/cityscape/ and streetscape photography,