Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Skies Turning Angry
Lens: Sigma DC 17-70mm 1:2.8-4.5 Camera: Pentax K100D Photo Location: My Back Yard ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F3.5 
Posted By: NISZILA, 12-27-2012, 07:35 AM

Some quick shots I took in the back yard when the sky suddenly went orange and dark clouds started rolling in. Please let me know what you think and how I can improve.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 

Views: 793
12-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
#1 is a sky to die for. It is underexposed, and since the eye expects skies to be bright (even this late in the day), you could give the shot more "pop" with a levels or tone curve adjustment. The problem with this shot is that the foreground looks like something you were trying to avoid rather than incorporating it into the shot; it is very noticeably tilted, and the bits of roof are distracting. Tree silhouettes can make an excellent foreground for this kind of shot; the foreground in #2 works very well. The sky is still very lovely and dramatic there, just not as unusual as in #1. #3 is interesting in the way the dark cloud at top is a counterpart to the treeline at bottom. Skies are a bit more ordinary by this point (beautiful, yes, but for sunset photos one wants something special), and the treeline is not as well differentiated as in #2 so I find it less effective.

TFS and keep on shooting!
12-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments Will keep practising. Skies like this don't come around often, so when they do, the camera needs to be ready
12-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good stuff.
They are tough conditions to expose for as well as balancing the colours.
Keep working on your compositions.

12-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I like the clouds, you really made them sharp and 3D. Good job making the clouds take the role of the subject. The only thing, as others have already pointed out, is the foreground. It is unsharp and looks kind of like a distraction instead of a part of the photo. You can try cropping it out or making it part of the photo (hyperfocal focusing? Positioning yourself according to it?)
But good effort, I like cloud photography but usually it is not appreciated, so I tend to not do it