Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Water Drops Perfected!
Posted By: codiac2600, 02-17-2008, 12:39 PM

So I decided to have fun in the basement today and perfect my water drop capture ability.

I finally plunked down for Pocket Wizards and got a set of three of them. Having the PW's has given me a new tool for fun and exciting ways to take pictures. Basically I plugged one PW onto the hotshoe of my K10D and plugged in the camera operator cable from said PW into the cable release port of the K10D. Then I setup an AF540 directly overhead triggered by the second PW and a Promaster 7000M set to optical slave into the pool of water with different colour gels for effect. The last step is the third PW in my hand... basically I can trip the camera and my strobes all at the same time form anywhere in my house without restriction. Basic setup cost would run you $2000+ if you had nothing, so this is not for the weak at heart or pocket book.

Here are the results from said experiment and I'm going to give it another go later plus post the setup shot of all the equipment ASAP.

ENJOY!

Views: 3,655
02-19-2008, 09:14 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Those are amazing shots of the water droplets. Thanks also for sharing how you accomplished such a task. I am still learning all the functions on my camera so I am not nearly at your level of perfection but you give me something to strive for in photography. Oh the possibilities that await me! Thanks again.

02-19-2008, 11:46 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Amazing beautiful images Chris.

Paul
02-20-2008, 08:09 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
but I liked that I could walk upstairs and continue to fire away.

That's really cool that you can do that with PW's. I'd like to get a set as well. Knowing that you can use it as a 1600 ft. remote only makes me want to get a set even more. There many times when I've needed something like that.

Now to come up with an extra 500 bucks...!
02-20-2008, 08:34 AM   #34
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For a basic home set up you can use optical triggers as well. Not great for shooting an event if there are other cameras and flashes around but I've done this with some PC adapters for the flash and optical triggers. Just fire one flash from the camera (onboard unit) and then the optical triggers will do the rest. Of course you have to sit there and not go upstairs for lunch. But that could be solved with an interval timer from Ebay that sells around $50 or so. Optical triggers and PC cords are very cheap.

The following was shot this way:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169757-post19.html

02-20-2008, 09:15 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very lovely! Sometimes, I see shots that I wish I had taken myself... these are some of them! Awesome!