Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Water Drops Perfected!
Posted By: codiac2600, 02-17-2008, 12:39 PM

So I decided to have fun in the basement today and perfect my water drop capture ability.

I finally plunked down for Pocket Wizards and got a set of three of them. Having the PW's has given me a new tool for fun and exciting ways to take pictures. Basically I plugged one PW onto the hotshoe of my K10D and plugged in the camera operator cable from said PW into the cable release port of the K10D. Then I setup an AF540 directly overhead triggered by the second PW and a Promaster 7000M set to optical slave into the pool of water with different colour gels for effect. The last step is the third PW in my hand... basically I can trip the camera and my strobes all at the same time form anywhere in my house without restriction. Basic setup cost would run you $2000+ if you had nothing, so this is not for the weak at heart or pocket book.

Here are the results from said experiment and I'm going to give it another go later plus post the setup shot of all the equipment ASAP.

ENJOY!

Views: 3,657
02-17-2008, 08:48 PM   #16
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a challenge for you Chris. Take a night shot and use that as a background for Earth and Moon! Again stunning capture.

02-17-2008, 10:20 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
those are very f***ing cool pics
02-17-2008, 11:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote

Earth and the moon...
Complete with gravity well! Great stuff Chris! Kudos!
02-18-2008, 04:32 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Thats just way too cool for words Chris, technical skills and imagination at play. Awesome stuff.

02-18-2008, 04:51 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Not sure how you did it so well. I could never get the shots of the quality you manged to produce
02-18-2008, 07:08 AM   #21
Veteran Member

you triggered the third PW handheld?! I thought an IR switch was the way to go for these. Cool shots! Thinking about it, was the third PW necessary? If you triggered it handheld, couldn't you have just used a cord?
02-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Here's a challenge for you Chris. Take a night shot and use that as a background for Earth and Moon! Again stunning capture.
Hmm... not sure I totally understand this one Peter. Give me a little more insight on it

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOsOProject Quote
those are very f***ing cool pics
Why thank you

QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
Complete with gravity well! Great stuff Chris! Kudos!
Lol, yes I do love the look of the water under the drops, makes for some side interest to the main subject.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaimarx Quote
Thats just way too cool for words Chris, technical skills and imagination at play. Awesome stuff.
Lol, thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Not sure how you did it so well. I could never get the shots of the quality you manged to produce
James if you sat down in the basement and tried it using the setup in my blog you could pull if off easily. Go home and try it yourself I'd love to see results!

02-18-2008, 04:03 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote
you triggered the third PW handheld?! I thought an IR switch was the way to go for these. Cool shots! Thinking about it, was the third PW necessary? If you triggered it handheld, couldn't you have just used a cord?
I would use an IR trigger, but to me that feels a little cheap... like instead of mastering a technique you replace it with extra electronics that don't involve any real skill. I can't deny that the results are spectacular for IR triggers just like lightning triggers do an amazing job.

I noted that in the blog that a cable release could replace the third PW, but I liked that I could walk upstairs and continue to fire away. It's not a perfect system and it's mostly luck so sometimes not actually paying attention to the drip rate helps.
02-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #24
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Chris I was thinking you could take the 2 water drops and remove the background. Then add a new background with stars and a night sky. All PS work of course. I don't do much of this type of stuff myself I admit but thought it might look cool if you could pull it off.

This is a great series. Have you tried posting any to PPG?
02-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
like instead of mastering a technique you replace it with extra electronics that don't involve any real skill.
Fair enough!

And hey, you just got three pocket wizards! I would have done the same!
02-18-2008, 04:39 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Chris I was thinking you could take the 2 water drops and remove the background. Then add a new background with stars and a night sky. All PS work of course. I don't do much of this type of stuff myself I admit but thought it might look cool if you could pull it off.

This is a great series. Have you tried posting any to PPG?
Ahhhhhhh... now i get it. I'll give it a go when I get home since it does sound pretty neat.

I haven't tried submitting any of these but will once I get home to the big beast PC which has all the pics.

QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote
Fair enough!

And hey, you just got three pocket wizards! I would have done the same!
That last part is exactly why I did it. I always have the urge to play with new toys until I figure out every conceivable way to use them.
02-18-2008, 06:14 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Chris...That is so cool that you share your talent and show people.... a how to video....thanks...Charlie
02-18-2008, 06:23 PM   #28
Veteran Member

So... SO... cool!
02-18-2008, 07:28 PM   #29
Veteran Member

These are GREAT!!

Chris,

These are truely amazing.... and your video on your blob is very understandable and a great teaching tool.

But what you dont' mention are the settings that you use? Or have you found certain settings that work better than others?

I don't have a macro lens but I think I may try this one of these days and see what happens..

Kim
02-18-2008, 10:27 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Wow Chris. When I saw the title I knew these would be good, but you surpased my expectations. Truely wonderful work here. I am in awe as I've had a feable attempt at photographing water drops that didn't work out at all. I actually bought the 540 flash because I *needed* it for water drop shots. lol
I've been seriously concidering PW's but wow they are pricey! Would I need more than two PW if I was using two flashes? I supose I would. YIKES and I thought $380 was too much money, I'd have to add another 1/2 as much again for another PW. And while we're on the subject...have your heard anything about Skyport tiggers?
Thanks for sharing your amazing and yes "Perfected" water drops. I love them.