Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Critters
Lens: Pentax F 70 - 210 f/4, Tamron 90 f/2.8 macro Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Niagara Falls, Ontario 
Posted By: tessfully, 12-28-2012, 06:23 PM

I hope everyone is having a wonderful time this holiday season! We have been down at my son's place in Niagara Falls, returning home last night to a massive amount of snow. I have so many photos to share, many steeped in mistakes as I have little experience shooting indoors. I thought I'd post them in a breakdown of themes, (Critters, Birds, Butterflies and Snow). I know they are not the greatest, but I learned a lot and I look forward to trying again this coming spring.

Thanks for having a look.

Tortoise --- he was running laps in his pen --- I am not kidding --- and it was pretty dark with heat lamps hanging low.

Pentax F 70 - 210 ISO 1600 f/5.6 1/800 (I bought a Pentax SF1 with this lens for $30.00 off kijiji -- I love it!)

Bat ---- These guys were just incredible and totally in the dark. Once my eyes adjusted I tried many different settings to get a shot. This is the only one that turned out well enough to keep.

Tamron 90 ISO 12800 f/3.2 1/25

Bearded Dragon --- low light with a heat lamp --- I have lots of cool shots of this handsome fellow!

Pentax F 70 - 210, ISO 1600, f/5.6 1/2000

Giant Cockroaches --- shot in the dark

Tamron 90 ISO 3200 f/2.8 1/30

Last edited by tessfully; 12-28-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Views: 892
12-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The last one is a horror image for a New Yorker...
12-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great job on the bat and the heat lamp throws a different type of light out, nicely done for sure.
12-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice series. The lighting on the turtle is superb and the bad has something on his mind.

12-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What beautiful images, Tess! The bat fascinates me. All of these are wonderfully lit and seem to capture the essence of each animal! Well done! Hope you have a wonderful 2013!!
12-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Great shots Tess.
12-31-2012, 06:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
The last one is a horror image for a New Yorker...
It was worse seeing it in real life! Thanks for having a look Jacquot

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Great job on the bat and the heat lamp throws a different type of light out, nicely done for sure.
Thank you so much Bob!

QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Nice series. The lighting on the turtle is superb and the bad has something on his mind.
Thanks Aussie, the Bat, Turtle and Bearded Dragon are special to me somehow. I am glad you liked them... I thought maybe I should lighten that turtle up a bit

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
What beautiful images, Tess! The bat fascinates me. All of these are wonderfully lit and seem to capture the essence of each animal! Well done! Hope you have a wonderful 2013!!

Oh Lori, it is always so nice to read your comments. Thank you so much. That bat cave was incredible... I loved seeing it... amazing critters. Happy New Year to you too

QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Great shots Tess.
Thank you bluestringer

12-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well done Tess love the Bat and cockroaches !
12-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #9

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
I love your bat, I have a sweet spot for bats.
12-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good work in the dark there, those cockroaches came out pretty well considering the conditions. I like the dragon,. a fine Aussie fellow. My Mum had a lot of these as visitors in her backyard in Bundaberg, Queensland, many years ago. Way before digital cameras, I remember exercising the Ricoh XR-P chasing them around the yard. They were quite tame and one of my sons would pick them up. Not me though.
01-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonderful critters, Tess. The tortoise and bearded dragon, especially. TFS!
01-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Well done Tess love the Bat and cockroaches !
Thanks Dave!

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
I love your bat, I have a sweet spot for bats.
Me too Ted... The small brown bats around us suffered a disease in recent years and reduced their numbers significantly. We have only seen one in two years, whereas in the past there would be dozens hunting every evening. Thank you for commenting.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Good work in the dark there, those cockroaches came out pretty well considering the conditions. I like the dragon,. a fine Aussie fellow. My Mum had a lot of these as visitors in her backyard in Bundaberg, Queensland, many years ago. Way before digital cameras, I remember exercising the Ricoh XR-P chasing them around the yard. They were quite tame and one of my sons would pick them up. Not me though.
Hi Bruce! Thanks for the comments and for sharing some of your memories. I actually thought of you and my other Aussie friends here on the forum as I made my way through the bird, critter and butterfly sanctuaries as many are from Australia. I can't wait to go back in the spring. The Dragon was my absolute favourite. I wish they lived wild around here. Thank you again

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Wonderful critters, Tess. The tortoise and bearded dragon, especially. TFS!
Thank you Julie! That big old tortoise was very cool.
01-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A group of creatively captured critters and creatures. Nice job, tess. Seems you have the touch for all things photographic.

Jer