Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
the Tv news is also using my photos

Waynesboro Fatal Car Crash
02-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought about reaching for the camera at the scene of a pretty bad wreck the other day, but decided against it when rescue workers started parking vehicles around the wreck as others were putting the jaws-of-lfe to work. Figured I better move along if they were trying to shield passing motorists from seeing what was inside the car.

Congrats on getting your pics used.
02-18-2008, 11:01 PM   #4
Forum Member

NathanCombs.

Are you a freelance photographer, newspaper journalist, fire dep't photographer ?

I am wondering how you can sell images to the general public of firefighters going about their work. Do you get a release from each firefighter to do that ?

Being a fire dep't photographer myself, I know our guys would have a fit if I sold images of them. (Something I would never do)
Our guys get real peed off if someone other than their photographer (me) comes into their space and frankly gets in the way (I have a certain dress/safety criteria to follow at the scene and rules about images of victims)

Just wondering.

Rg.

02-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxamillion Quote
NathanCombs.

Are you a freelance photographer, newspaper journalist, fire dep't photographer ?

I am wondering how you can sell images to the general public of firefighters going about their work. Do you get a release from each firefighter to do that ?

Being a fire dep't photographer myself, I know our guys would have a fit if I sold images of them. (Something I would never do)
Our guys get real peed off if someone other than their photographer (me) comes into their space and frankly gets in the way (I have a certain dress/safety criteria to follow at the scene and rules about images of victims)

Just wondering.

Rg.
newspaper journalist i work for my self

it is the norm for papers to sale there photos. the photographers usly do not own there coppy right but in my cace i do. every paper i know they will sale any one a coppy of a photo all you have to do is ask and they will print you a coppy. they also sale there photos to the AP, UPI ect... all they are is a stock copneys just for news and news stories. so there is a good chance that the papers that cover where you live have in the past sold the photos that they took when they covered a wreck of fire where you are. now with that sed it depends on there polcyes and there are some papers that can sale photos but they do not work at it and do not sale that meny.

an exaple is the VA Tec shooting. a LOT of the photos where shot by a photographer that works for the Roanoke Times but was published in meny other publications. the parent compney sold useg rights to others so they could use the photos.

our suations are diffrent as a member of the fire department you are subject to the rules of that and the laws ie.. FISA as a photoj i am not bound by such rules we have gide lines but no rules. rules may be set by the editor of a paper but people like my self set ower own. so i have to make my own decisions on how i will cover a sean.

as for realces i do not need them as sole coppy right holder and how i get the photos the law is that i do not need them. with Sutterstock they are sold as "editorial use only" so no need of a relace there ether. then in VA such things are coverd under coppy right law NOT privcy laws witch gives photojs a lot of leway on how a photo is sold. now i can NOT miss lead a reader that is slander and IS agenst the law and just bad journalistism. as long as there printed in a paper they have to be 100% un mnplated . but i can sale the photos too who ever i plese as the coppy right holder. as long as there not in a news paper or venue or clame to be news i can sale the photoa as "art" and i do. i have all so sold copys of photos to lawers ect.. that call me time to time i just charge more than what the papers would.

i do give the fire dep. ect... free photos on a cd and have not heard 1 compliant about how i sale the photos and i have told meny that i do. they let me in as close as i wont most times i use my 18-55 kit lens LOTS at fires i am so close some times i could reach out and tuch a firefighter if i wonted to, with that being sed they know that i do not get in the way and i do not shoot the "gory stuff"
02-19-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
Forum Member

NathanCombs.

With all due respect, I only barely understood half of what you wrote. It's all mixed up with spelling mistakes and bad grammar.

There is no way you would be allowed to get in close with my FD.
Apart from the liability, you would not meet any of our protocol.

Rg.
02-19-2008, 05:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
there is no real protocol hear. you just have to demstrate that 1. your leget photoj not just there to look 2. you do not get in the way or will couse problems

this is a fire i photoed a cople of days a go

The Photograph: Palmer Mill Rd. House Fire - February 10

as you can see i was right there i had use for the mojorty of the time my 18-55 kit lens, thow the fire had been mostly out by the time i got there it was on the other sied of the county in a hard place to find and it had burned FAST do to wind. but it is one exaple. now i am not stupid LOL if there a big danger or such i stay back a bit and it is why i have a 70-300, 80-200, 100-500, 500, and a 2x converter. thow the 2x is CRAPPY and the 500 is a mirror lens and the 100-500 and 70-300 are SLOW it is better than not having anny at all. lol
02-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

wow,. im confused..

02-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by distorted_vision Quote
wow,. im confused..
simple form

my photos and copy right i can sale any way i feel like.

Last edited by nathancombs; 02-19-2008 at 06:35 PM.
02-20-2008, 01:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

...(snip)... I am wondering how you can sell images to the general public of firefighters going about their work. Do you get a release from each firefighter to do that ? Being a fire dep't photographer myself, I know our guys would have a fit if I sold images of them. (Something I would never do) Our guys get real peed off if someone other than their photographer (me) comes into their space and frankly gets in the way ...(snip)...

First, one does not ever need a model release when it comes to news. Nathan publishes his own work and has a track record of selling images to local newspapers and television news programs. Second, as employees of the city/public, firefighters are public figures with few rights to privacy while on the job. Finally, as long as there is no interference with their work (and I'm not aware of any complaints of that regarding Nathan), firefighters have few valid reasons for getting "peed off" when members of the general public who employ them take photographs.

stewart
02-20-2008, 12:11 PM   #11
Forum Member

Stewart_Photo.

I can assure you, if you show up at the scene of a fire or accident around here and try and cross into where the action is, you will be stopped in a heartbeat.
It doesn't matter who you are. I often work with three or four other FD's due to all call group incidents. They all work the same way. The photographer with one of these dept's is a fully trained FF and suited up. I have to wear partial gear.

Yes you can pop off as many shots as you want from outside the perimeter. A few weeks ago a local newspaper journalist got in the way of a couple of our guys on the edge of the perimeter, was asked to move twice, did not and got knocked on his butt in no uncertain manner. He was lucky he didn't get arrested.

I just love the attitude of most journalists who believe they have the unfettered right to get into ones face, no matter what the situation. They don't.

Just don't get in the way of any of our guys trying to do their job. One might find oneself with a fire hose wrapped around ones neck, a busted camera and arrested.

By the way Nathan is selling images of Firefighters etc on the net to private parties. He is not selling just to the media.

Rg.
02-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

(snip) Yes you can pop off as many shots as you want from outside the perimeter. A few weeks ago a local newspaper journalist got in the way of a couple of our guys on the edge of the perimeter, was asked to move twice, did not and got knocked on his butt in no uncertain manner. He was lucky he didn't get arrested.

I just love the attitude of most journalists who believe they have the unfettered right to get into ones face, no matter what the situation. They don't.

Just don't get in the way of any of our guys trying to do their job. One might find oneself with a fire hose wrapped around ones neck, a busted camera and arrested.

Well, on a sarcastic note regarding your words, I'm certainly glad Americans live in a country with a free press, with laws preventing assault by others, and with government employees who actually respect the people who employ them.

QuoteQuote:
By the way Nathan is selling images of Firefighters etc on the net to private parties. He is not selling just to the media.

Again, as employees of the city/public, firefighters are public figures with few rights to privacy while on the job. Off-topic, so enough said.

stewart
02-20-2008, 02:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

If your curious about if Nathan has permission or not check here Waynesboro News Chaser and watch the story. Or see his thread here. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/20386-pentax-user-tv.html the video link on my pc seems to not load but when I watched it before I believe it had the local Police or Fire Chief who had nice things to say about Nathan. Spelling and Grammer are not his strong suit but he does well with the camera.
02-20-2008, 03:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Rules for taking photos of news events are pretty simple in most places and though there are variations, it roughly come down to:

- Photographer on a public steet/sidewalk/land can take all the pictures he wants of an event (without getting in the way of the rescue workers) and publish them however he wants.

- If there is a security perimeter, then photographer can take all the pictures he wants from OUTSIDE the perimeter, unless he has permission from the incident commander to enter the perimeter to take pictures. Here in Montreal entering a fire perimeter requires permission and full protective clothing and a helmet or hard hat.

- If a photographer wants to shoot while standing on private property, then he needs permission from the land owner or else he is trespassing. During a fire, the Incident Commander may have control of the land and his word supercedes the land owner.

I'm a carreer firefighter in a large city, and also enjoy taking the occasional pic at fire scenes when I am not on duty. I've seldom had problems with journalists or firebuffs. Our biggest "photographer" (and I use the term very loosely!) problem right now is from kids with cell phone cameras and videos getting in the way.

And yes as public employees when working we are indeed "fair game" for news and other types of photographers.

Stewart ... I think what maxamillion is refering to is photographers who get in the way or go where they are not supposed to at emergency scenes. Nobody has a "right" to interfere with our work, and nobody has a "right" to enter a safety perimeter. When we are in the middle of saving peoples lives and property, we do NOT have the time to explain politely to kid-kodak that he is in our way.

Pat
02-20-2008, 04:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Amd to keep this on topic...

Nice pics Nathan!

I like them all except for the one where we can see a recognisable victim on the stretcher (as I've said before, I don't like and won't take pictures of victims as I personally think it's in bad taste).

I specially like the one of the firefighter with the hose line on his shoulder and helmet in his hand.

Pat