Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Puppy portraits with off-camera lighting
Posted By: hamidlmt, 02-17-2008, 07:11 PM

Took a few portraits of the pups today with the K10D, FA 50mm 1.4 and a Photoflex Starlite 3' Octodome directly behind and slightly above me.

Views: 1,751
02-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hamid, amazing!

#2 and #3 are my faves... #2 takes the show though. Such a great pose and perfect focus and exposure.

Your pup is a womderful model
02-17-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All good but as Chris says, That second one is a winner. Great capture. The lighting looks great and the colour is very rich in these.

How's the pup enjoying his new home?
02-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #4
m8o
Veteran Member

lucky bastich!... Just one flash sends two one of my three dogs running for cover thinking its lightning, a few more flashes sets then 2nd off, with them jumping behind the wine cellar or under the toilette bowl. I so envy you! ...
That pup's face is incredible; so cute.

02-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Hamid, amazing!

#2 and #3 are my faves... #2 takes the show though. Such a great pose and perfect focus and exposure.

Your pup is a womderful model
Thanks! I was actually thinking of your ring light.... trying to come up with a similar effect with what I had.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
All good but as Chris says, That second one is a winner. Great capture. The lighting looks great and the colour is very rich in these.

How's the pup enjoying his new home?
I've been working on the color in post-processing, but I really just need to fiddle with white balance.

The new pup is adjusting very, very quickly! I keep finding the 2 dogs snuggling. They play well together. Sofie hasn't had an accident in the house in 2 days. She's nearly mastered some commands (come, sit, stay, down, leave it). And, she slept all through the night in her crate and didn't whine when I took her out. She's one happy puppy!

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
lucky bastich!... Just one flash sends two one of my three dogs running for cover thinking its lightning, a few more flashes sets then 2nd off, with them jumping behind the wine cellar or under the toilette bowl. I so envy you! ...
That pup's face is incredible; so cute.
That's exactly the reason that I decided on continuous lighting. No scary flashes for dogs and kids.

One day I'll have both. There's things that just can't be done without high-powered strobes.
02-18-2008, 09:23 AM   #6
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
That's exactly the reason that I decided on continuous lighting. No scary flashes for dogs and kids.
One day I'll have both. There's things that just can't be done without high-powered strobes.
Ah, my bad! I should have done a Yahoo! search (remember them, from the days before Google? ). So the Photoflex Starlite isn't flash then; that hadn't entered my mind. Yepsy, going to look into and consider it then. [edit after seeing it: hogally mogally is that diffuser regardless of geometry big... even the small is pretty big]

Wondering, what WB signature does the light have?

Thanx (and for being kind in light of my ignorance ).
-steve

Last edited by m8o; 02-18-2008 at 09:31 AM.
02-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Ah, my bad! I should have done a Yahoo! search (remember them, from the days before Google? ). So the Photoflex Starlite isn't flash then; that hadn't entered my mind. Yepsy, going to look into and consider it then. [edit after seeing it: hogally mogally is that diffuser regardless of geometry big... even the small is pretty big]

Wondering, what WB signature does the light have?

Thanx (and for being kind in light of my ignorance ).
-steve
Yeah.... you can either get 500 watt or 1000 watt bulbs for the Starlite's. I haven't tried the 500 watt yet. They use the tungsten white balance setting. Though, I'm finding (and getting great feedback from the forum!) that it's too purely white (cool) for most portraits. It often needs to be warmed up.

The Octodome is 3 feet across. They also make a 5 foot version and a whopping 7 foot version! The 3 foot octodome that I have actually doesn't seem bigger than the medium soft box. It's wider, but it's not as deep so it seems to take up less space.

02-18-2008, 10:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you just broke the "cutness meter"

Even the hard bitten subway techs are going "hey that dog is kinda cute". So I guess you did real good. Like everyone else so far, I'm a bit in awe of that second shot. Great capture.

NaCl(if you can impress an NYC subway tech, you can impress anybody)H2O