Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
Puppy portraits with off-camera lighting
Posted By: hamidlmt, 02-17-2008, 07:11 PM

Took a few portraits of the pups today with the K10D, FA 50mm 1.4 and a Photoflex Starlite 3' Octodome directly behind and slightly above me.






Views: 1,751
02-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Posts: 2,027
Hamid, amazing!

#2 and #3 are my faves... #2 takes the show though. Such a great pose and perfect focus and exposure.

Your pup is a womderful model
02-17-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,643
All good but as Chris says, That second one is a winner. Great capture. The lighting looks great and the colour is very rich in these.

How's the pup enjoying his new home?
02-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #4
m8o
Veteran Member
m8o's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 40-55'-44" N / 73-24'-07" W [on LI]
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,092
lucky bastich!... Just one flash sends two one of my three dogs running for cover thinking its lightning, a few more flashes sets then 2nd off, with them jumping behind the wine cellar or under the toilette bowl. I so envy you! ...
That pup's face is incredible; so cute.

02-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gresham, Oregon USA
Posts: 1,218
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Hamid, amazing!

#2 and #3 are my faves... #2 takes the show though. Such a great pose and perfect focus and exposure.

Your pup is a womderful model
Thanks! I was actually thinking of your ring light.... trying to come up with a similar effect with what I had.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
All good but as Chris says, That second one is a winner. Great capture. The lighting looks great and the colour is very rich in these.

How's the pup enjoying his new home?
I've been working on the color in post-processing, but I really just need to fiddle with white balance.

The new pup is adjusting very, very quickly! I keep finding the 2 dogs snuggling. They play well together. Sofie hasn't had an accident in the house in 2 days. She's nearly mastered some commands (come, sit, stay, down, leave it). And, she slept all through the night in her crate and didn't whine when I took her out. She's one happy puppy!

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
lucky bastich!... Just one flash sends two one of my three dogs running for cover thinking its lightning, a few more flashes sets then 2nd off, with them jumping behind the wine cellar or under the toilette bowl. I so envy you! ...
That pup's face is incredible; so cute.
That's exactly the reason that I decided on continuous lighting. No scary flashes for dogs and kids.

One day I'll have both. There's things that just can't be done without high-powered strobes.
02-18-2008, 09:23 AM   #6
m8o
Veteran Member
m8o's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 40-55'-44" N / 73-24'-07" W [on LI]
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,092
QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
That's exactly the reason that I decided on continuous lighting. No scary flashes for dogs and kids.
One day I'll have both. There's things that just can't be done without high-powered strobes.
Ah, my bad! I should have done a Yahoo! search (remember them, from the days before Google? ). So the Photoflex Starlite isn't flash then; that hadn't entered my mind. Yepsy, going to look into and consider it then. [edit after seeing it: hogally mogally is that diffuser regardless of geometry big... even the small is pretty big]

Wondering, what WB signature does the light have?

Thanx (and for being kind in light of my ignorance ).
-steve

Last edited by m8o; 02-18-2008 at 09:31 AM.
02-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gresham, Oregon USA
Posts: 1,218
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Ah, my bad! I should have done a Yahoo! search (remember them, from the days before Google? ). So the Photoflex Starlite isn't flash then; that hadn't entered my mind. Yepsy, going to look into and consider it then. [edit after seeing it: hogally mogally is that diffuser regardless of geometry big... even the small is pretty big]

Wondering, what WB signature does the light have?

Thanx (and for being kind in light of my ignorance ).
-steve
Yeah.... you can either get 500 watt or 1000 watt bulbs for the Starlite's. I haven't tried the 500 watt yet. They use the tungsten white balance setting. Though, I'm finding (and getting great feedback from the forum!) that it's too purely white (cool) for most portraits. It often needs to be warmed up.

The Octodome is 3 feet across. They also make a 5 foot version and a whopping 7 foot version! The 3 foot octodome that I have actually doesn't seem bigger than the medium soft box. It's wider, but it's not as deep so it seems to take up less space.

02-18-2008, 10:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bronx NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,631
I think you just broke the "cutness meter"

Even the hard bitten subway techs are going "hey that dog is kinda cute". So I guess you did real good. Like everyone else so far, I'm a bit in awe of that second shot. Great capture.

NaCl(if you can impress an NYC subway tech, you can impress anybody)H2O
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, photo, portraits
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
People off camera lighting Taff Post Your Photos! 9 10-13-2009 06:35 AM
Using 67II with off camera lighting Jake67 Pentax Medium Format 3 06-09-2009 08:13 PM
Portraits in the park with off-camera lighting hamidlmt Post Your Photos! 12 10-28-2008 06:23 PM
Self Portraits: Lighting, Colors, Wine! BBear Post Your Photos! 6 09-29-2008 02:52 PM
Weekly Challenge #22 - Natural Lighting Portraits petekd Weekly Photo Challenges 36 07-01-2007 12:13 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:59 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top