Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Visitors from the Arctic (Common Redpoll?)
Lens: DA* 60-250 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: NW Penna 
Posted By: stormtech, 01-02-2013, 05:52 PM

A very busy day around the bird feeders today. We had a new visitor - or should I say bunch/flock of visitors.

From what I can find in our guides, it looks to be a Common Redpoll. From the description, these birds are common to the arctic tundra and rarely migrate as far south of the Central US. There were probably 30 or so of them, and helped create quite a frenzy at the thistle feeders where our normal 50 or so Goldfinches spend the day feeding.

I hope someone can help verify my identification.

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 02:20 AM.
Views: 1,644
01-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The one with the pinkish breast is a male, with the whitish breast...a female Red Poll, I believe. We get them at our bird feeder in southern Manitoba, Canada. Great photo's as they do move around quickly.
01-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agreed on the ID and sexing -- Sibley shows the winter range covering all of PA. Great shots!
01-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
The one with the pinkish breast is a male, with the whitish breast...a female Red Poll, I believe. We get them at our bird feeder in southern Manitoba, Canada. Great photo's as they do move around quickly.
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Agreed on the ID and sexing -- Sibley shows the winter range covering all of PA. Great shots!
Thanks for the confirmation as this is the first time we've seen them.

And move around quickly is right! Between my wife and I we took around 200 shot this afternoon with only 10-12 keepers. In these photos they actually sat still for almost 1 minute.

I am hoping they stick around - I plan to get some more shots of the frenzy between 30 or so of them and 50 or so finches fighting for position.

01-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stan, nice captures of what must be a hardy bird to survive those temps.
01-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Stan, nice captures of what must be a hardy bird to survive those temps.
You'd be surprised at the temps these birds live in...up here it was about -30 a few days ago and those temps in this province aren't that unusual throughout it's range up here.
01-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Oh yes! The Redpolls are wonderful... I am watching them right now as I type. They rule our household... never ever run out of birdseed! Beautiful shots of a very sweet bird.

01-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great captures Stan, #2 is perfect. Are they posing on the staging sticks at the feed stations you showed us previously?
01-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Great captures Stan, #2 is perfect. Are they posing on the staging sticks at the feed stations you showed us previously?
Thanks Larry!

Yes, they are landing on the sticks near the feeders waiting for a spot. I set up with catch-in-focus today - already uploaded 1038 images! There are hundreds of these guys here today. Also trying some video with the Q going wide showing most of the feeders in the shot - first time doing any video for me. Will update this thread with some new images and hopefully a short video once I comb through all those images.
01-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just thought I would add that the guys were back today - at least 100 of them!

I setup the K-5 with catch-in-focus for a couple hours - I now have 1068 images to sort through! Once I get a handle on those images, I think I am going to start a new post about my visitors in the Wildlife section as it seems more fitting.

I also set up the Q to take some video of the frenzy - it's hard to explain without actually seeing it. During the video you will see a little snow come down once in a while - that is from the 40 or so of them that were on the roof waiting to get into the action.

I'll update this thread with a link to the new one later this coming weekend.

01-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whoah that is a frenzy! Wish it had sound, must be raucous!
01-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
A very busy day around the bird feeders today. We had a new visitor - or should I say bunch/flock of visitors.

From what I can find in our guides, it looks to be a Common Redpoll. From the description, these birds are common to the arctic tundra and rarely migrate as far south of the Central US. There were probably 30 or so of them, and helped create quite a frenzy at the thistle feeders where our normal 50 or so Goldfinches spend the day feeding.

I hope someone can help verify my identification.
Decidedly redpolls and I must assure you that they are still quite well and healthy around here too: Northeastern Québec along the St Lawrence River.

I suppose you are within the southern limits of their winter migration but I wouldn't wager on that.

Nice shots, very crisp!
My favorite is the last one: very nice composition.

JP
01-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Whoah that is a frenzy! Wish it had sound, must be raucous!
Since I was shooting from inside I turned the sound off. But yes, it was quite the racket - and this went on from 8am to 3pm non-stop.

I think I might try it with the camera outside with the sound on next time and run it with the remote if it will signal through the glass.
01-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stan, watching the video you better go up to the store and pick up some more feed.
01-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots, well edited! These really pop.