Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Portraits of my Daughter
Posted By: Mr Hyde, 02-18-2008, 11:33 AM

A few weeks ago I took a bunch of photos of my daughter. She needed them for school. I entered one in the "Manipulated Light" weekly challenge. Now I'm posting 4 of them and asking which is the better shot. Let me know what you think. The first one is the one I entered in the contest.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 02-19-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Views: 2,789
02-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I like the lighting in the one you entered best, but her smile really makes the other shots. On my screen the edges of her teeth have highlighted white edges though. Great shots all, and a very lovely young lady.
02-18-2008, 11:44 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Scott. The 3 below look over sharpened or Jpeg compression artifacts. The lighting on the first is the best. She mugs for the camera very nicely, great smile. Worth asking her to model again for you.

I bet Dad has a bodyguard for his daughter....
02-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I bet Dad has a bodyguard for his daughter....
Dad is a police officer so I guess you're correct

02-18-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
The 3 below look...
...like overexcercises in PP
02-18-2008, 01:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very beautiful and natural model, agree with others, first is really nice, the rest over sharpened, just check the last image: the edges of the teeth for example.

The second is also really great if it were not over done, would be nice to see the original or less worked example...

You can always make new versions, if you shot with raw?
02-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Have to agree, I like the first one best (the others less because of the artifacts around the teeth).

What was your lighting setup (what kind of lights, placement, etc), if you don't mind sharing?

02-18-2008, 02:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments. I'm a bit new at all this and can use all the help I can get. I guess i got all caught up in the sharpening (or oversharpening as it were......)

Lighting set up for this was fairly simple since I realy dont have much at my disposal. I do have a Pentax AF-540 so that was my only light source. The flash was mounted on camera and angled into a reflector that was angled at my daughter. I wanted to use side lighting but I had no other easy way of getting the light at an angle. The reflector was being held in place by my other daughter.

Here is a similar crop direct from the raw image and a less worked shot. Is this one any better?

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 02-19-2008 at 09:29 PM.
02-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ya know... I went back and looked at the shots on my computer and looked at the ones posted here at the top of the thread. The ones I posted here look terrible. All the stuff you guys mentioned about the highlighted edges on her teeth and the rest of the oversharpening comments, I see them here but they are not on the original image. Should I be resizing for the forum before I do any PP on the photos? I must be doing something wrong. There really is a huge diference and I dont understand why.

I have a 24 inch monitor and I have been working on a large image until it looks pretty good then resize it for the forum. Perhaps I should be doing something different. Any help would be appriciated.