Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Quadrantid meteror
Lens: Bower (samyang) 14 =mm f2.8 Camera: Pentax K5 Photo Location: Sointula, BC Canada ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: SointulArt, 01-05-2013, 12:56 AM

The skies were clear as the Quadrantid meteor shower peaked and this is one of the best shots of the bright fireballs passing overhead.

Pentax K5, O-GPS1 using astrotracer, 2.5 minute exposure.

cheers
Darryl

Attached Images

Views: 816
01-05-2013, 02:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very neat, and nicely done with the star tracking.
01-05-2013, 05:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent we had cloudy skies that day. I just got the O-GPS1 for Christmas. I have used it for the GPS (works great) have yet to try the Astrotracer - care to share your settings ? Looking forward to trying that component.
01-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Excellent we had cloudy skies that day. I just got the O-GPS1 for Christmas. I have used it for the GPS (works great) have yet to try the Astrotracer - care to share your settings ? Looking forward to trying that component.
The first thing I noticed with the O-GPS1 was that the manual wasn't really up to the usual Pentax standards. It is brief to the point of not really providing much detail on how to actually use the unit. After installing the battery, and turning on the GPS and the camera, it takes a few minutes for the GPS to acquire enough satellites to accurately track the sky. I usually turn on the electronic compass and wait for it to do its thing. Once it's fully operational, I do a calibration, then I switch to Astrotracer and do a Precise Calibration. The first time you do the calibration it feels awkward, but after a few goes it becomes almost second nature. I don't know if you need to do the ordinary calibration before the precise one, but this seems to provide good tracking so I do it anyway.

It is important to leave the O-GPS1 unit switch on, even if you power off the camera to switch lenses. If you turn it off as well, you will have to re-do the calibration.

I have also found that when you move the camera to a slightly different location, or angle (or you have taken it inside to swap lenses, that you need to give the O-GPS1 time to re-calibrate its position and angle etc. The unit updates every minute, I usually let it sit there for a couple of minutes before taking more images.

cheers
Darryl

01-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SointulArt Quote
The first thing I noticed with the O-GPS1 was that the manual wasn't really up to the usual Pentax standards. It is brief to the point of not really providing much detail on how to actually use the unit. After installing the battery, and turning on the GPS and the camera, it takes a few minutes for the GPS to acquire enough satellites to accurately track the sky. I usually turn on the electronic compass and wait for it to do its thing. Once it's fully operational, I do a calibration, then I switch to Astrotracer and do a Precise Calibration. The first time you do the calibration it feels awkward, but after a few goes it becomes almost second nature. I don't know if you need to do the ordinary calibration before the precise one, but this seems to provide good tracking so I do it anyway.

It is important to leave the O-GPS1 unit switch on, even if you power off the camera to switch lenses. If you turn it off as well, you will have to re-do the calibration.

I have also found that when you move the camera to a slightly different location, or angle (or you have taken it inside to swap lenses, that you need to give the O-GPS1 time to re-calibrate its position and angle etc. The unit updates every minute, I usually let it sit there for a couple of minutes before taking more images.

cheers
Darryl
Thanks I was curious do you re-calibrate (or need to) when the camera auto shuts off ? I have not and it seems to maintain it's GPS abilities. Have not tired the precise calibration I'll give that a go also good tip on the waiting for it. Thanks for the info, looking forward to giving it a go.
01-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Thanks I was curious do you re-calibrate (or need to) when the camera auto shuts off ? I have not and it seems to maintain it's GPS abilities. Have not tired the precise calibration I'll give that a go also good tip on the waiting for it. Thanks for the info, looking forward to giving it a go.
Not when the camera shuts off, but only if you turn off the O-GPS1 unit. BTW, always a good idea to turn "Auto Power Off" to off. And, one other useful tip, set the camera to 2 second delay shooting before shooting with Astrotracer. This locks up the mirror prior to the exposure.
Darryl
« My cats | Lately. »