Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Unnamed Fall
Posted By: GeoJerry, 01-05-2013, 04:15 PM

Just another waterfall in Iceland. I don't know what this one was called or if it even had an official name.

Views: 866
01-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
THinking a bit more, it was shooting shots like yours (using an ND to get a nice waterfall) that caused me to end up with those really long exposures of the Aurora . I only made that mistake once on the trip, however.

01-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I think the fact that it was a bit mundane is why I'm thrown. The first day of my trip I saw a similar waterfall (east and slightly north of Reykjavik in Havalfjordur), and being the first waterfall on the trip we stopped and I took pictures. I thought for a second your shot may be that same waterfall, but then I recall that as the trip went on and I saw more spectacular waterfalls, I started skipping over ones such as this one, and I recall a few that looked similar down in the Golden Circle region. I also have to admit that in doing a clock-wise loop around the island, the toll of 14 days on the road caught up to me by time I came around to the Golden Circle region. Watching too much of the Aurora out in the cold the first week left me sick the second week. Not enough to ruin the trip, but it was definitely enough to make me slow down my photo taking. I'm not too sad as I ended up with over 3000 shots, but there were many things (such as that old airplane that showed up elsewhere) that I had planned on shooting and never got to.

I've been slow with my photos, so I am still keeping up with the photos that I know need to be processed and printed. I do have a lot like you and Jim where I'll want to revisit them. I've not used HDR enough to use that, but I often use black and white as my go to for photos that I think need some effort. I'm not sure that will be the case for Iceland, but the clouds lead to a lack of contrast that can't easily be saved in color. HDR may save me as well.
This particular fall was located very close to Gulfoss, a little to the southwest of there I think. I know what you mean about "waterfall burnout". After a few days we'd routinely drive by several hundred foot waterfalls without much of a comment.
01-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I think I know the waterfall then, and I'm sure we didn't stop then. That day we had seen many of the famous "post-card" waterfalls, and didn't stop at ones such as this. I think most of the famous ones are in that area. I remember thinking as early as our first day away from Reykjavik, out on Snaefellnes, that it seemed like every house had its own waterfall. I remember using my maps and phone and trying to find if all these waterfalls had names only to realize that many waterfalls don't.

Waterfalls are not very common here in California that even the smallest ones have names (and are often protected by a park of some sort). I knew there would be a lot in Iceland, but I was still caught by surprise at how many there were.