Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Unnamed Fall
Lens: Pentax 17-70 mm f/4 Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Iceland ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1s Aperture: F19 
Posted By: GeoJerry, 01-05-2013, 04:15 PM

Just another waterfall in Iceland. I don't know what this one was called or if it even had an official name.

Views: 865
01-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #2

That looks very pretty. Looks a HDR to me???
01-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks visnaworam. Yes it's a pseudo HDR, using Photomatix's default mode for a milder effect.
01-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well done and absolutely beautiful! TFS

01-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Love the clouds.. Did you use filters?
01-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wcchamp18 Quote
Well done and absolutely beautiful! TFS
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
Love the clouds.. Did you use filters?
Thank you minhasa! If by filter you mean a physical attachment to the lens, yes I used a neutral density filter for this one to get the slow shutter speed. Otherwise no special filtering effect applied to the clouds.
01-06-2013, 06:22 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow between you and Jim I now consider Iceland as a photographic destination. That is one gorgeous pic.
01-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wow between you and Jim I now consider Iceland as a photographic destination. That is one gorgeous pic.
Thanks Dave, hope you can make it out there before too long and post some photos. It would be great to see what you'd come up with.

01-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Amazing photo. Nicely done.
01-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow! Stunning!!
01-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lovely!
01-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, thanks, and thanks! Glad you liked it. I was a little concerned that it might be OTT.
01-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
Pentaxian

That looks like a waterfall I saw on one of the first days of my trip. I don't remember the name either, and I'm not sure it is the same. The HDR throws me for a loop a bit. Then again, now that I think back there were a few waterfalls that looked similar, I just didn't stop much at similar ones later in my trip.

I'll have to start posting some pics this evening.
01-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
That looks like a waterfall I saw on one of the first days of my trip. I don't remember the name either, and I'm not sure it is the same. The HDR throws me for a loop a bit. Then again, now that I think back there were a few waterfalls that looked similar, I just didn't stop much at similar ones later in my trip.

I'll have to start posting some pics this evening.
Thanks emalvick.... although I don't know if being thrown for a loop by HDR is good or bad.

This was a shot that to me was pretty unspectacular and it sat idle for a long time. Like Jim I periodically go back to Iceland shots to see if I can get some new ideas. For this mundane fall (relatively speaking - it is Iceland after all!) I thought HDR and some blue tint might jazz it up a bit and make it more interesting.
01-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Thanks emalvick.... although I don't know if being thrown for a loop by HDR is good or bad.

This was a shot that to me was pretty unspectacular and it sat idle for a long time. Like Jim I periodically go back to Iceland shots to see if I can get some new ideas. For this mundane fall (relatively speaking - it is Iceland after all!) I thought HDR and some blue tint might jazz it up a bit and make it more interesting.
I think the fact that it was a bit mundane is why I'm thrown. The first day of my trip I saw a similar waterfall (east and slightly north of Reykjavik in Havalfjordur), and being the first waterfall on the trip we stopped and I took pictures. I thought for a second your shot may be that same waterfall, but then I recall that as the trip went on and I saw more spectacular waterfalls, I started skipping over ones such as this one, and I recall a few that looked similar down in the Golden Circle region. I also have to admit that in doing a clock-wise loop around the island, the toll of 14 days on the road caught up to me by time I came around to the Golden Circle region. Watching too much of the Aurora out in the cold the first week left me sick the second week. Not enough to ruin the trip, but it was definitely enough to make me slow down my photo taking. I'm not too sad as I ended up with over 3000 shots, but there were many things (such as that old airplane that showed up elsewhere) that I had planned on shooting and never got to.

I've been slow with my photos, so I am still keeping up with the photos that I know need to be processed and printed. I do have a lot like you and Jim where I'll want to revisit them. I've not used HDR enough to use that, but I often use black and white as my go to for photos that I think need some effort. I'm not sure that will be the case for Iceland, but the clouds lead to a lack of contrast that can't easily be saved in color. HDR may save me as well.