Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Lion & Zoo with Tamron 70-300 Di Macro
Posted By: hinman, 02-18-2008, 08:14 PM

I had my first chance to test a used copy of Tamron 70-300 Di Macro that I got from another member. The lens that I got is almost like new and I just tested the lens with my new K10D over the weekend. All are shot in bright mode with adjustment like +2 to contrast and saturation. I may be overdone on the settings with +2, I am yet to try it on +1 instead

A cage separate the couple from another male and couple of females

She greets the other neighboring lions by touching
the wire with her head, very cute to observe the friendly behavior

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 02-19-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Views: 2,903
02-18-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Hin,
Your shots are all nice, a bit over saturated for my personal taste, but certainly sharp. Particulary like the little guy in No6.
I have the Tamron as well and haven't really given it a good workout yet, I bought it because it was cheap & light for travel.
Cheers.
02-18-2008, 09:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The cats really are wonderfully sharp Hin. I could see them on a glossy magazine page. I also like the light on #5. The meercat's pose is good. I like to shoot the k10d in natural mode plus a click up on everything, or I shoot in vivid mode with everything centered to default. It really depends on what I'm shooting and the light etc. But then I like to shoot in raw format too which allows me more adjustments also.
I was just thinking the other day that I need to go back to shooting more jpegs unless I am shooting something "important" or difficult. I have far too many raw shots that are just sitting without being processed. I guess that has more to do with my work flow than anything else. Sorry, I digress.....
Oh and even though I have a lot of very good glass, including the Bigma, I have to say that the tamron 70-300 is my favorite lens. It is lightweight and very versatile. I love the close focusing ability of the lens too. It constantly surprises me with what it delivers for me. If you enjoy your copy half as much as I do mine, you'll be lovin' it.
02-18-2008, 10:30 PM   #4
Igilligan

Howdy Hin

Congrats on the new camera and the new/used lens. It looks like a sharp keeper to me. The meercat shot is really nice. The lion shots are a bit saturated on my old laptop, but I have not had much luck with my own levels on it since my other computer crashed.

How are you liking the K10 so far? Is it an easy transition? Can't wait to see more of your shots with it.

P.S. I just ordered my 28-75 2.8 should be here thursday... I will send you some shots when I get it figured out.

02-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks to all the kind comments.

Gus, so far I would say I really enjoy the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 though I only used it for few test shots in dining out. It seems very sharp wide open and its color is quite rich with similar rich and mystic color in low light like the FA 50 f/1.4 but of course not as fast. lIf there is one thing that I would complain about the Tamron, that would be on its weight. The 70-300 is fine for its longer end and I prefer the handling of the Tamron over my previous copy of Sigma DL 75-300. I would wish the Tamron 28-75 a bit lighter but I can't complain after seeing the pictures coming off from the lens as snapshots in testing.

After two Tamron lens with 28-75 f/2.8 and 70-300 Di LD Macro, I have to say that I really like Tamron lens. If the upcoming Tamron 10-24 is reasonable in price, I would likely to aim for Tamron trio that goes from 10 to 300mm in 10-24, 28-75 and 70-300, the LBA nuts with zooms

Hin
02-19-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

A bit oversaturated for me too, but great sharp images. Your Tamron lens is serving you well. After reading a recommendation in a Review I tend to keep my K10D on sharpness +2, contrast +1 most of the time, but at the end of the day it's all down to personal taste.

Paul
02-19-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
A bit oversaturated for me too, but great sharp images. Your Tamron lens is serving you well. After reading a recommendation in a Review I tend to keep my K10D on sharpness +2, contrast +1 most of the time, but at the end of the day it's all down to personal taste.

Paul
Can you please comment if the adjustment is on the default natural mode or the other vivid Bright mode? I may have gotten it wrong and adjust the setting on the + side on the 'bright mode'.

Thanks,
Hin
02-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi Hin,

I adjust on the natural tone mode. The reviewer suggested either using the camera in bright mode or preferably natural mode with adjustments to sharpness and contrast (and possibly saturation as well). The review is here:

DCRP Review: Pentax K10D

As I said before though it is all down to personal preference. Also, I'm not sure if firmware updates have altered the equation too as this review will be quite old now. Many people seem happy with the K10D's default settings.

Paul

02-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for the extra information. And here are few more test shots that I like.

A lovely coupler

My boys like the pigeon over the lion shot

02-19-2008, 05:17 PM   #10
Igilligan

Hi Hin your copy of that lens is so sharp.

I have a question for you. I have the 70-300 and it has CA/PF on high contrast shots. Your shots look CA free. Did you PP the CA out of the photos? I am not seeing any hint of it in your shots...

The lion shots look really nice and a two headed pigeon... you dont see that everyday.
02-19-2008, 06:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I have a question for you. I have the 70-300 and it has CA/PF on high contrast shots. Your shots look CA free. Did you PP the CA out of the photos? I am not seeing any hint of it in your shots...

The lion shots look really nice and a two headed pigeon... you dont see that everyday.
I think I do get some CA/PF on various shots. Maybe it is less obvious with saturated color, I don't know this thing. I am novices by all accounts and I normally don't pixel peep at pictures and hence I may post more bad shots than others. In this shot, for instance, maybe some purple bokeh on the background and the edges seems to hint pf/ca. By the way, is CA the same as PF as I get confused in the terms and I always refer to them the similar thing with purple color around contrasty areas

purple stone close to the tail

And more apparent in this one. Please notice the stones and the branches behind the meerkat

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 02-19-2008 at 06:20 PM.
02-29-2008, 08:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

CA looks more like yellow fringing (which you see in the trees), while PF is of course purple (which you see in the stones)

Looks like you had fun during the shoot.