Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A few pics from Germany
Posted By: maxwell1295, 02-19-2008, 12:33 AM

We're visiting family here in Germany. These shots were taken in Heidelberg. I'm on my wife's laptop, so any PP was done with irfanview. This screen is horrible, so please excuse if they don't look quite right on yours. I'll have to wait until I get home to mess around with them. These were my first pics with the A70-210mm. The last pic was taken with the kit lens...

Views: 2,604
02-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Tour Guide...

Well, do tell others a little about the images. Let me act as a tour guide. The first two images were taken from the area of the castle looking down on the town and river. The first image shows the old bridge, now restricted to foot traffic. Just down the river (about 1/4 mile) to the left of this image is the new, four-lane, bridge for vehicle and streetcar traffic. Just to the right of this image is a dam with lock for boats to transverse. Just up the hill beyond the river and old bridge (opposite the castle) is the Philosophenweg (Philosopher's Path), a walking path supposedly used by Heidelberg University students to sit and study (though far more sit at a park, not seen in any of these images, next to the river).

The second image shows the old downtown area with the church. A plaza with statue is located directly in front of the church (the end towards the camera is the front) and one end of the Hauptstrasse (pedestrian shopping street) starts next this plaza (going towards the left in this image, on the side of the church closest to the camera). During the summer, street venders routinely sell goods in this plaza on the weekends. By the way, for a bit of trivia, the white building in the very lower right in the image houses a McDonald's fast-food restaurant on the ground floor.

The third image shows the trolley used to take pedestrians up to the castle. There is also considerable parking for vehicle traffic as well. And the location of the last image is unknown. However, these are typical of modern home construction throughout Germany, including the (metal, wood, or plastic) roll-down shutters on the windows and the very heavy clay shingles on the roofs.

Most of the browns in the countryside will be replaced with beautiful shades of green as the trees and grass awaken in next month or so, and will continue through the summer months. The colors are also especially nice during Autumn.

stewart

-

Last edited by stewart_photo; 02-19-2008 at 12:04 PM.
02-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful shots of Heidelberg. I lived there for 8 years. For the last 3 years I was there, my office was located going to the left and almost at the end of the street (Hauptstrasse) the church is located on. I was located about a block from where the streetcars [Strassenbahn (sp?)] turned around. Spent a lot of lovely Sunday afternoons at the castle and walking on Philosopher's Path. Great place to watch the "Burning of the Castle".
02-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the guided tour. I'm not much of a tour guide, especially since I ain't from around these parts.

I don't know much about the area other than that's where my sister-in-law lives. This is my first visit there. I'm in the process of bouncing around through Dusseldorf, Nienburg, Kassel, Bamberg, and then back to Heidelberg. I'll post a few more shots as soon as I get the time.

02-22-2008, 05:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I would try to arrange a meeting, but I'm not in Heidelberg at the moment either. Instead, I'm going back and forth between Berlin and Munich for at least the next week or so. My messages here are being posted by accessing my computer at home remotely (limited internet access at the two hotels I'm staying at).

stewart
03-09-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've been meaning to come back here and post some more pics from the trip, but I didn't really have time until now.

Düsseldorf

Neinburg

Bamberg

03-09-2008, 05:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice park in Mannheim

Strousbourg (France)

I saw this at one of the rest stops on the way back from Strasbourg, sitting on a pay phone. My first thought was that I really didn't recall seeing German beer in a can. I did see more than my fair share of bottles! My second thought was that I didn't recall seeing much in the way of litter the entire time I was there.

03-09-2008, 05:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wow thanks for the tour way too many pics to comment on but there are really good one in there. Thanks for sharing.
03-09-2008, 07:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I guess I did go a little overboard with the pics...
03-09-2008, 08:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

picture like that make me definatly want to eventually take a trip over to europe sometime in my life
03-10-2008, 06:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
(snip) I saw this at one of the rest stops on the way back from Strasbourg, sitting on a pay phone. My first thought was that I really didn't recall seeing German beer in a can. I did see more than my fair share of bottles! My second thought was that I didn't recall seeing much in the way of litter the entire time I was there.

All good travel pictures, Maxwell. And it is true beer in a can has not caught on that well here yet. Most claim the taste is different, but I suspect it has more to do with many viewing cans as somewhat less dignified. As for litter, while most European cities are certainly cleaner than most American cities, both litter and graffiti are more common sights today than just a few years ago. The graffiti is especially sad as it often defaces historical sites that have remained unblemished for hundreds of years.

stewart
03-10-2008, 07:09 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great series. Love the street scenes and building interiors. Looks like you visited some beautiful areas. It's been too long since i was last in Europe. Gotta get there again sometime soon.
03-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Beautiful series of sharp and vivid-colour photos. Makes me want to visit Heidelberg soon! Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by gawan; 03-11-2008 at 12:39 PM.
03-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

After seeing these ... I'd lover to return to Germany for anther trip ... last time I was over there I was 10 years old (about 20 years ago). I still remember it well though.

The historic towncentres with coblestone streets were amazing to see ... and the country side was very picturesque.

Shame I can't speak German ... even though i come from a German background (especially with a surname of Bauer).
03-10-2008, 06:00 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have some wonderful images here and there are too many to comment on individually but that second church interior is an outstanding photo. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Heinrich