Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Skeletons
Lens: Sigma 18-50 Camera: K10D 
Posted By: russell2pi, 01-07-2013, 04:32 AM

I wanted to capture the form and texture of these slopes carpeted in dead tree hulls. These are the remains of a major bushfire which occurred in in the Victorian Alps (Australia) in 2003. The softness lets it down a bit but I'll try again next time I'm up there.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Views: 713
01-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shot a rebirth will happen what's it look like now ?
01-07-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like this photo very much - the topography forms lighter lines along ridges that intersect diagonally. Like an abstract - very nicely done.

Jer
01-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice shot a rebirth will happen what's it look like now ?
That's what it looks like now . You can see two main species of trees - the straight ones lower down (Alpine Ash) are very tall (up to 70 m) and don't re-sprout when killed by fire. Seedlings are now quite tall.. 10-20 m at a guess. The gnarled ones higher up (Snow Gum) re-sprout from the roots and are about half their original height (which depends on the conditions - right on the treeline they are a small shrub.) So in both ares you now have maturing regrowth but with these great skeletons towering over it. A lot of Eucalyptus species resprout all over the tree but not these ones, at least, not when burned in such an intense crown fire as was the case here. On the other hand Alpine Ash actually will not germinate unless a fire passes through! That's why you see large stands of (dead) trees of roughly the same height- they all germinated at the same time (at a guess - after the 1939 fires which burned 10% of our state.)