Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Moving the bird feeder closer to the house.
Lens: Bigma Camera: K5 
Posted By: charliezap, 01-10-2013, 03:01 PM

Today was a productive day.I moved a bird feeder closer to house so now I can use the Bigma from 15ft. distance from the kitchen window. I made sure that it didn't hang over the deck-my wife hates bird messes.I tried various ISO's with the Bigma just to see how it responds.The BIF's didn't come out too bad but I got time on my side to experiment. I'm realizing that I can shoot at less than 500mm with this lens and that cropping at a lesser focal length shows me the qualities of this beast.--charliezap
Name:  chkdee-1.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  123.2 KB
1/400--f/9---240mm @800 ISO
Name:  044.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  308.1 KB
New location of feeder from house.
Name:  017-1.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  178.6 KB
1/400--f/9--200mm--ISO 800
Name:  018-1.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  144.4 KB
1/400--f/9--200mm--ISO 800
Name:  020-1.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  152.1 KB
1/1000--f/8---200mm--ISO 1600
Name:  031-1.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  161.1 KB
1/2000--f/10---140mm--ISO 6400
Name:  037-1.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  176.5 KB
1/2500--f/10---170mm--ISO 6400

Views: 2,634
01-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You're really getting some nice shots from that lens.
01-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Not bad Charlie . With the K5 I think I would bump the iso to get a faster shutter speed on some of them - looks like you got a great set up there.
01-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #4

Great shots! Only one suggestion, and not technical, just presentation. To maintain, or achieve, a more natural look could you set up a perch near the feeder? Try harvesting a photo-worthy branch from a tree that needs a limbing and securing it in a way that gives you a nice background from your chosen shooting location. This way you get the birds in a more natural habitat - sans feeder.

Well done, and thanks for sharing.

01-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
You're really getting some nice shots from that lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Not bad Charlie . With the K5 I think I would bump the iso to get a faster shutter speed on some of them - looks like you got a great set up there.
Thanks guys.It's all a trade off.If I want action stopping shots I have to bump up the IS0 and quality does suffer some.From what I see now 1600-3200 ISO is acceptable and I just adjust my f/stop and shutter speed accordingly.I want a Pentax camera and lens combo that will give me needle sharp results from 8mm-1000mm in a zoom and no noise no matter what ISO you use.Somebody slap me and I'll wake up and get back to reality.Imagine what the technology in cameras will be like in 10yrs .I started taking pictures in 1956 and had to wait a week just to see what my pics looked like and that was mostly B&W.Before I took todays shots I took a shot through the window to the feeder on the edge of the yard with the Pentax 18-250 lens.I liked it considering the limitations of the conditions.---charliezap
Attached Images

01-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Do you have any noise reduction software ? I find Topaz DeNoise works well and may sing the praises of NIK software (Lightroon IV is pretty decent as well) - you are right though most noise removal software does soften the details. You don't want anything thre reset of us want either .......
01-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

these are the sharpest I have seen of yours Charlie, glad to see you are having fun and thanks for passing the info along to us.

01-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Top shots. Since you are shooting from the window, if you want to keep the window closed but avoid reflections, get ourself a lens skirt. We got one and they are great. A clean window helps too, but it removes the reflections. It is even better at night.

lenskirt.com
01-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shadowsonoureyes Quote
Great shots! Only one suggestion, and not technical, just presentation. To maintain, or achieve, a more natural look could you set up a perch near the feeder? Try harvesting a photo-worthy branch from a tree that needs a limbing and securing it in a way that gives you a nice background from your chosen shooting location. This way you get the birds in a more natural habitat - sans feeder.

Well done, and thanks for sharing.
Thanks Tyler for the perch tip.I may just do that today and see how it works out.-charliezap
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Do you have any noise reduction software ? I find Topaz DeNoise works well and may sing the praises of NIK software (Lightroon IV is pretty decent as well) - you are right though most noise removal software does soften the details. You don't want anything thre reset of us want either .......
Hi Dave.I have PSP 8 and it does have noise reduction software.Another thing that I did is custom setting the NR to any of the ISO's available with the K5.It does pay to look at the K5's instruction manual from time to time.--charliezap
01-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What fun - trying new things and ideas is what makes photography fun.

Jer
01-11-2013, 06:59 AM   #11

Being a backyard bird feeder myself, I really enjoyed these shots. I would love to get a Bigma to get some nice shots of the various birds. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to even more from you!
01-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
these are the sharpest I have seen of yours Charlie, glad to see you are having fun and thanks for passing the info along to us.
QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Top shots. Since you are shooting from the window, if you want to keep the window closed but avoid reflections, get ourself a lens skirt. We got one and they are great. A clean window helps too, but it removes the reflections. It is even better at night.

lenskirt.com
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
What fun - trying new things and ideas is what makes photography fun.

Jer
It's going to take a day or so for the birds to get used to the new placement of the feeder but I'll be ready.I have a big piece of cardboard with a hole in it that I place in the open window.I shut off the focus beep also.What did I do before I retired?--charliezap
01-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Good job charlie.... you got some great shots there, I love the little razor sharp feet with the motion blurred bird. It's art.

01-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #14
Pentaxian

In the photo reposted above, it seems you've been spotted. I can almost hear her tweeting out "bird paparazzi!"

Nice photos, thank you for sharing them.
01-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civano Quote
Being a backyard bird feeder myself, I really enjoyed these shots. I would love to get a Bigma to get some nice shots of the various birds. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to even more from you!
It's going to be nice in the Spring when the birds show off with their mating colors.I can't wait to capture a Hummingbird with the Bigma.--charliezap