Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Portraits with the 55mm 1.4
Lens: Pentax 55mm 1.4 Camera: K7 Photo Location: Germany ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F2 
Posted By: christophleipzig, 01-12-2013, 11:14 AM

Dear pentax users,

I recently bought this nice, lovely 55mm 1.4, the expensive one. The Pentax-DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM. Well, I thought already that objective had maybe eaten all my budget, but it was worth the god dmn money.

I add some pictures. What to say: I was taking them with window light (cloudy sky), behind of me was a whitish wall, also I had this as a kind of reflector. The room behind that was maybe 6 Meters long and quite dark. For each photo I needed maybe 3-5 minutes. I used the aperture 2.2 and the times where about 1/80. I used fully manual control of the times and the aperture and I also used the manual focus.

That's all. Window light, manual controll over a superb lens. That was all. I am happy.

Postproduction was mainly not existent. I used Aperture to get jpgs. I deepen the "point of black" (on purpose!), sometimes I darken, sometimes I lighten the light a bit. That was mainly all.

Here the examples:

#1 Journalist

#2 Historian

#3 Old veterinarian

#4 Businessman

#5 Teacher

#6 Bookshop Owner

I would be happy for advice, what I could to the next time better.

Christoph

PS: Don't cry. I am always to lazy to make the pictures smaller. It is helpful to use a proper browser.

Last edited by christophleipzig; 01-21-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Views: 1,460
01-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting shots. I think I could almost pick out who was who!

FYI, on my computer, the images were too large to fit on the screen in both browsers I have. In my Safari browser I could almost see the entire picture but had to scroll up and down a bit to see the entire image. Not too bad. In Firefox though they were quite a bit larger, maybe by 2x, so that I had to scroll both vertically and horizontally to see the image, meaning that I couldn't really get a good look at them in Firefox.
01-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #3

You have good contact with the portraited - that is very important! They are open to you.
The PP does need some attention, at least when shown in a series. The last one for example is too dark for my tastes, whereas the one of top of that (colour, female) is about perfect.
01-12-2013, 01:13 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
PS: Don't cry. I am always to lazy to make the pictures smaller. It is helpful to use a proper browser.
You have the right to be too lazy to resize the images to a comfortable and practical viewing size. Don't cry when we exercise our right to be too lazy to offer you any feedback, especially when you address us in such a condescending and entitled tone.

Very Respectfully,
Heie

01-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Too big. Foreheads look nice. Last forehead too dark.
Lol.
01-13-2013, 05:03 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok. May I ask, why the button disappeared here from the Forum, where the picture size was automatically reduced?
01-13-2013, 07:46 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Cause there was one, and easy to use. It is not completely true, that I am too lazy - but I have also no online-space - just my blog. And I must say, that it is a bit difficult to do the work twice or three time.
01-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think you did a great job! Sure a bit dark here and there but overall their great. Additionally, they all fit fine on my screen. I guess it all comes down to people screen resolution.

01-14-2013, 05:44 AM   #9

Most are way too flat. need a bit more contrast.
01-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's no lack of details in these shots for sure.
01-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wpvv Quote
You have good contact with the portraited - that is very important! They are open to you.
The PP does need some attention, at least when shown in a series. The last one for example is too dark for my tastes, whereas the one of top of that (colour, female) is about perfect.
Thank you! Before I print them (they are for printing), I probably will do some fine tuning.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Interesting shots. I think I could almost pick out who was who!
Thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by wcchamp18 Quote
I think you did a great job! Sure a bit dark here and there but overall their great. Additionally, they all fit fine on my screen. I guess it all comes down to people screen resolution.
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by imaspy Quote
Most are way too flat. need a bit more contrast.
That's maybe your opinion man. The contrast is a thing, I am not going to play with in this pictures anymore. Maybe the light itself, but no contrast.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
There's no lack of details in these shots for sure.
Yea, actually this is this Pentax lens. I hope, that is a positive thing. I actually was astonished, what kind of difference this lens does. I never had a thing with this quality in my hands...
01-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by christophleipzig Quote
That's maybe your opinion man. The contrast is a thing, I am not going to play with in this pictures anymore. Maybe the light itself, but no contrast.
ok well, i think the first shot could be improved a little, but the last shot definitely needs some attention. the tonal range is really cut off.
01-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #13
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Good results using ambient light.
Thanks for sharing.
01-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Good results using ambient light.
Thanks for sharing.
Thank you.

I actually was at the end changing the contrast and the light in the last picture a bit. I thought about it and like the result also more now.