Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pano of January 2nd sunset with K10D + FA 50/1.4
Posted By: Marc Langille, 01-06-2007, 01:40 PM

NOTE: the image is 703KB, and 2500 x 629 pixels, so I'll post it in the reply.

I hope you enjoy!

Cheers,
Marc
Views: 2,116
01-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
here

Stitched together from six shots with my K10D and FA 50/1.4 - taken at F/11, 1/350 or 1/250 sec., ISO200

http://www.marclangille.com/images/dpreview/pano_framed_resized_copy.jpg

I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did...

Cheers,
Marc
01-06-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Marc. Good morning from Oz and your sunrise looks better than what I see here.

Overall the the ray coming out of the centred sun is radiating outwards beautifully with an impact. This is an excellant pano with great skill.

Though I might like the colour to be more sepia and a little darker to bring the impact a bit more (just My 2 cents and it might not come out well that way)

I woke up so early this morning as the weather has been so warm here: humid, hot and no winds!

01-06-2007, 07:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You must have done a fast sweep pano before much could change as the stitching job looks excellent.

Somehow I would like to figure out how to get a shot of the sun in a photo without that 'total blowout' when taken directly at the sun. I'm thinking one of the shots needs a neutral density filter but that could seriously throw off the rest. If taken quickly with a ND filter and another taken after without then you could use the 'dreaded photo manipulation' of removing one sun and adding back in the other.

But no, that would probably create a 10 page thread on the merits/demerits of taking artistic liscense.

01-06-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Marc, that would make a great banner print...
01-07-2007, 08:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
James

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Hi Marc. Good morning from Oz and your sunrise looks better than what I see here.

Overall the the ray coming out of the centred sun is radiating outwards beautifully with an impact. This is an excellant pano with great skill.

Though I might like the colour to be more sepia and a little darker to bring the impact a bit more (just My 2 cents and it might not come out well that way)

I woke up so early this morning as the weather has been so warm here: humid, hot and no winds!

Hi James,

I appreciate your comments... That slight radiating of the sun's rays made the picture. I'll try you suggestions to see what it looks like. Normally I like the foreground dark/black so the sunset and sky is the focus of the image.

However, the dynamic range was so good I let it stay as is....

Our "winter" is typical - lows around -2 to -5 C, and daytime highs of 5-10C.

Cheers,
Marc
01-08-2007, 05:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Clarence...

QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
You must have done a fast sweep pano before much could change as the stitching job looks excellent.

Somehow I would like to figure out how to get a shot of the sun in a photo without that 'total blowout' when taken directly at the sun. I'm thinking one of the shots needs a neutral density filter but that could seriously throw off the rest. If taken quickly with a ND filter and another taken after without then you could use the 'dreaded photo manipulation' of removing one sun and adding back in the other.

But no, that would probably create a 10 page thread on the merits/demerits of taking artistic liscense.
Thanks Clarence! Luckily my handheld technique is pretty solid. You can give kudos to PTGUI for the stitching - it's amazing!

I shot 1/350 sec. in the sunny parts to equalize everything. I was impressed with the DR of the K10D.

I hear what you're saying, although I don't have an ND filter (yet). It's on my wish list...

Cheers,
Marc

01-08-2007, 05:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Joele...

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
Hi Marc, that would make a great banner print...

Actually I've sent it to the printers today...

Cheers,
Marc