Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
Homestead
Posted By: GeoJerry, 01-14-2013, 11:19 PM

This is a picture from two years ago that I honed in on for tonight's exercise. It's amazing that when going back to an old (here, August 2010) pic, I find that I would have processed it completely differently and in fact sometimes don't even like the picture I have. So I start over, maybe with a new idea, or new software, or just fiddling and ad libbing to see where I end up. I wonder if anyone else does this?



The second picture is a bonus for viewing. Does anyone know what this sickly looking bird (a crane of some kind I assume) is? It reminds me of an old man. Taken on the Newport Beach pier on Saturday.


Views: 1,116
01-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Coquille, OR
Photos: Albums
Posts: 73
Jerry, my upgrade was thrust upon me when my one-year old Macbook was cast off a counter onto a floor. It had the 4gb of RAM, and just couldn't hack it. I bought a new one, with the faster processor and 8gb RAM. Can't swear that only a RAM upgrade would help, but I think it very likely.

I don't use Flickr, but I do use Fotki. different process for syncing, but it works reasonably well. It doesn't have the integration flickr does though.

01-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
GeoJerry's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,086
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
Excellent shot, I can't comment on the original processing but I really like this.
cheers
Thanks! The original was I thought too saturated and there were some blown out highlights.
01-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
GeoJerry's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,086
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Jerry both of these shots are awesome in completely different ways. Adore the pastoral scene, and the bird rocks with personality and moodiness. Awesome PP... We use aperture and after an upgrade and way more free GB it has been working great. I don't have plug ins... kind of wish I had bought the Topaz when I had the chance. Anyway, wonderful shots, thank you for sharing!
Thanks for the good words Tess. Also thanks for the Aperture info. It does sound like I need more RAM, so I'll wait until the desktop machine conks out (soon I think - 7 years old) and replace it with an iMac.
01-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
GeoJerry's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,086
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by groesener Quote
Jerry, my upgrade was thrust upon me when my one-year old Macbook was cast off a counter onto a floor. It had the 4gb of RAM, and just couldn't hack it. I bought a new one, with the faster processor and 8gb RAM. Can't swear that only a RAM upgrade would help, but I think it very likely.

I don't use Flickr, but I do use Fotki. different process for syncing, but it works reasonably well. It doesn't have the integration flickr does though.
I think RAM is the problem now. I'll check Fotki out. I guess you need to export from Aperture and then upload to Fotki as a separate operation?

01-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #20
Veteran Member
romansolar's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Kosice,Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 438
first one is great Jerry! what a lovely countryside
01-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Coquille, OR
Photos: Albums
Posts: 73
Jerry,
Well, you can drag and drop into the java console. There are bugs in the system. Creating an album for the first time works fine, but to add photos to an existing album with a Mac is problematic. Once you figure out how it works well, but not as nicely integrated as flickr. Personally, I like the Fotki interface better for viewers, but if you can make Flickr work, I'd stick with it if I were you. But if you want to see Fotki in action, here's one of my albums:

2012 Summer BC Bike Trip album | Groesener | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.
01-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
GeoJerry's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,086
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by romansolar Quote
first one is great Jerry! what a lovely countryside
Thanks roman!
01-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
GeoJerry's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,086
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by groesener Quote
Jerry,
Well, you can drag and drop into the java console. There are bugs in the system. Creating an album for the first time works fine, but to add photos to an existing album with a Mac is problematic. Once you figure out how it works well, but not as nicely integrated as flickr. Personally, I like the Fotki interface better for viewers, but if you can make Flickr work, I'd stick with it if I were you. But if you want to see Fotki in action, here's one of my albums:

2012 Summer BC Bike Trip album | Groesener | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.
I see... that site seems more appropriate for a professional. I guess I'll stick with flickr but stay on the lookout for something better. I'll post a new thread on this flickr/Aperture problem in another forum and see what folks might come up with.

01-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #24
Pentaxian
emalvick's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Davis, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,582
I love the first shot and the GBH. I actually peaked in because I thought it was going to be another Iceland shot, and then I saw the yellow . It's a fantastic shot, though. I struggle to take shots like that, I think because I see these types of scenes so often that I find them mundane, yet time again photographers like you and others show that everything is photogenic; it's all in the mind's eye. I'm not a very good photographer or artist from that perspective. There is so much to see, and I miss it.
01-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
dcmsox2004's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: rhode island
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,440
americana is what popped into my head when i viewed your first composition... that dramatic sky
really adds a special dimension to this fine effort, dave m
01-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
GeoJerry's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,086
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I love the first shot and the GBH. I actually peaked in because I thought it was going to be another Iceland shot, and then I saw the yellow . It's a fantastic shot, though. I struggle to take shots like that, I think because I see these types of scenes so often that I find them mundane, yet time again photographers like you and others show that everything is photogenic; it's all in the mind's eye. I'm not a very good photographer or artist from that perspective. There is so much to see, and I miss it.
Thanks emalvick! I might have just driven by this scene too, but being pretty late in the afternoon, I was struck by the really nice soft light, and the way the white building almost glowed relative to the others. So I put on the brakes and grabbed it. When driving for long distances I avoid freeways and try to stick to two lane roads as much as possible. That way I can stop easily and quickly wherever I want. On this trip, I was on a drive from Vancouver to LA on a college visiting trip, and I don't think I spent more than 50 miles on a freeway.
01-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
GeoJerry's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,086
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
americana is what popped into my head when i viewed your first composition... that dramatic sky
really adds a special dimension to this fine effort, dave m
Americana is perfect! That's what I was thinking with the title Homestead, a typical slice of America. Thanks!
01-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #28
Pentaxian
emalvick's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Davis, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,582
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Thanks emalvick! I might have just driven by this scene too, but being pretty late in the afternoon, I was struck by the really nice soft light, and the way the white building almost glowed relative to the others. So I put on the brakes and grabbed it. When driving for long distances I avoid freeways and try to stick to two lane roads as much as possible. That way I can stop easily and quickly wherever I want. On this trip, I was on a drive from Vancouver to LA on a college visiting trip, and I don't think I spent more than 50 miles on a freeway.
Nice... I have done similar things myself, although my time is limited these days, so I don't get to do that as much as I would like. Back in my college days, I would occasionally drive from SLO (school town) to Stockton (hometown) without using one freeway... specifically Hwy 33 (I'm guessing you might have used it a bit on your referenced trip). I really wish I could get the time to revisit that aspect of the central valley. It's been 15 years, but I did have some nice film shots and black and white shots from my old Minolta in those days.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, photo, picture
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature A new plant at the homestead charliezap Post Your Photos! 10 05-11-2012 02:36 PM
Misc Homestead cwhans Post Your Photos! 7 10-21-2009 02:53 PM
Hillybilly Homestead sajmmiller Post Your Photos! 9 01-31-2008 03:37 PM
The Old Homestead xs400 Post Your Photos! 11 09-17-2007 11:18 PM
The Old Homestead xs400 Post Your Photos! 4 06-27-2007 11:06 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:00 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top