Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Homestead
Photo Location: Somewhere in Washington State 
Posted By: GeoJerry, 01-14-2013, 11:19 PM

This is a picture from two years ago that I honed in on for tonight's exercise. It's amazing that when going back to an old (here, August 2010) pic, I find that I would have processed it completely differently and in fact sometimes don't even like the picture I have. So I start over, maybe with a new idea, or new software, or just fiddling and ad libbing to see where I end up. I wonder if anyone else does this?

The second picture is a bonus for viewing. Does anyone know what this sickly looking bird (a crane of some kind I assume) is? It reminds me of an old man. Taken on the Newport Beach pier on Saturday.

Views: 1,802
01-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hey, I thought I was the only loony that just...started over sometimes after a couple years letting a picture set.

The bird is a blue heron, quite common, but this one looks particularly petulant. :P
01-15-2013, 04:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well done and yes I have done this - I really need to do more or it because you are so right. new skills and software can make a huge difference.
01-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I sure love that first one - and yeah, I've done what you describe, particularly when I switched from PSP to Aperture after buying a Mac about a year ago.

Jer

01-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Great shots
01-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Love that first shot. I also enjoy taking a second look at photos. One of these days, if I ever get to retire, I'm going to have a lot of fun doing just that.
01-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

love the first shot also

and yes, i am also reediting old images or just processing images year or more old

01-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, and glad I'm not alone in going back to old pictures. (I've even deleted versions that I had rated 5 star).
01-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Fantastic shots. Thanks for sharing.
01-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I sure love that first one - and yeah, I've done what you describe, particularly when I switched from PSP to Aperture after buying a Mac about a year ago.

Jer
What do you think about Aperture versus PSP? I have been thinking about going the other way, as I have so many crashes with Aperture. Mostly I like the tools Aperture offers, and there are millions of plug-ins, but I find it crashes several times per day, and in particular synching with flickr drives me crazy. It seems you can't disable this in Preferences, although you can "pause" it for a while. But soon (a few minutes) it will reactivate again and sync batches of photos, and essentially seize all of your computer's resources. Best to get a cup of coffee or go for a little walk while you wait, and then it's always a surprise to go to flickr and see which random photos it's picked this time to put in your photo stream.

Maybe I'm doing something very wrong here - it's been known to happen - would appreciate hearing if you've had similar experiences.
01-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Fantastic shots. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks very much!
01-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
GeoJerry - I had a hard time with Aperture - running slow and crashing, until I bought a new laptop (Macbook Pro with 8gb or RAM) no trouble since the change. It works great now.
01-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by groesener Quote
GeoJerry - I had a hard time with Aperture - running slow and crashing, until I bought a new laptop (Macbook Pro with 8gb or RAM) no trouble since the change. It works great now.
Maybe that's it, I need more horsepower. I have a MacBook Pro also, only a year old, but with only 4 GB RAM.

Do you use flickr and if so any problem with the flickr/Aperture sync?
01-16-2013, 05:41 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent shot, I can't comment on the original processing but I really like this.
cheers
01-16-2013, 05:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Jerry both of these shots are awesome in completely different ways. Adore the pastoral scene, and the bird rocks with personality and moodiness. Awesome PP... We use aperture and after an upgrade and way more free GB it has been working great. I don't have plug ins... kind of wish I had bought the Topaz when I had the chance. Anyway, wonderful shots, thank you for sharing!