Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
White breasted nuthatch
Lens: DA* 60-250 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Whitney, Ontario, Canada ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: normhead, 01-16-2013, 02:04 PM

A month or two ago, someone noticed that all my nuthatches were yellow breasted, and said, "we rarely see those, we mostly get the white breasted ones here." To which I thought "huh, there's white breasted nuthatches?", so I started paying attention to the birds coming to the feeder, After a couple weeks I finally saw a white breasted nuthatch, and got the camera ready. There have been lots of days when there have been as many as 3 at the feeder, but the light was poor. There have been other days when they came, but I wasn't fast enough to get a picture. Today I finally got one of the little guys. I was already sitting behind the camera, I already had it pointed to the area where he landed. If I'd had to change position I would have missed him. If he'd landed 3 feet one way or the other on the rail I probably would have missed him, talk about blind luck.

Just the latest addition to the collection.

http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m579/Norm_Head/AA-posted-images/Wildlife/?start=all
Views: 868
01-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice capture Norm.The only birds missing in my 2 day shootings are the Nut Hatch and the Carolina wren and the occasional Red Bellied woodpecker.I'm going to buy some saffron seeds.Supposedly cardinals love them but squirrels hate them because they are bitter.--charliezap
01-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Nice capture Norm.The only birds missing in my 2 day shootings are the Nut Hatch and the Carolina wren and the occasional Red Bellied woodpecker.I'm going to buy some saffron seeds.Supposedly cardinals love them but squirrels hate them because they are bitter.--charliezap
I think you mean Safflower...

What is Safflower Seed and What Kind of Wild Birds Does Safflower Attract? at The Wildlife Porch

QuoteQuote:
While squirrels find safflower distasteful, they will still eat it if hungry. Chipmunks are a much bigger fans of safflower seed than squirrels.
QuoteQuote:
Safflower, Carthamus tinctorious L., is also known as false saffron, American saffron, or saffron thistle. It's like a thistle and herbaceous. It has globular flower heads in brilliant yellow, orange, or red flowers and blooms in July.
01-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I saw one Cardinal earlier in the year charlie, but, I guess I didn't have the right food out and he didn't come back, The food i bought to try and keep him around is now mostly eaten by the Blue Jay. Actually the Blue jay has also taken on the job of running off the squirrels and chipmunks. Apparently Blue Jays don't like rodents much.

01-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

My mind is lagging behind.It is safflower. I was almost close.--charliezap
01-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
My mind is lagging behind.It is safflower. I was almost close.--charliezap
You can get Saffron seeds, but they are kind of expensive. You can't grow a Saffron flower from a seed, it grows from a bulb, but you can grow a bulb from a seed. Safflower is called American Saffron anyway, so close enough.
01-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Another nice shot Norm! That's one we don't see around here.
Regards!

01-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Rupert dude, where the heck you been. There was guy asking advice on how to shoot squirrels and you were noticeably absent. I kept thinking, why isn't every second post in this thread Ruperts? You have to go find that thread and help the guy out if you haven't done so already.
01-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Great shot Norm.

Tom G.
01-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the comment Tom
01-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #11