Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
K10d + Da14
Posted By: larugl, 01-06-2007, 03:40 PM

I never thought that this wide angle lens would be good for flowers too...

1/45s f/4.0 at 14.0mm iso100

1/250s f/6.7 at 14.0mm iso100

1/90s f/5.6 at 14.0mm iso100

1/45s f/3.5 at 14.0mm iso100

1/20s f/2.8 at 14.0mm iso200

Views: 1,771
01-06-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Lars. I love your 3rd and 4th post showing the various aspects of Da14 beauty.

I did try mine with floral shots and the lens has to be sooooooo close to the flower to bring out the DOF. It gives off the ring bokeh in highlights that you might either love it or hate it. It is sharp wide open in great lighting. Very prone to flare though contrary to most reviews on line...

Your 3rd shot reveals the grandeous nature of the hotel you stay in. Love that feeling of expanse

Thanks for showing and would love to see more DA14 shots
01-06-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by larugl Quote
I never thought that this wide angle lens would be good for flowers too...
Hej Lars!

So, you have been away somewhere to see some shunshine?!
The flowers... holy... no, the DA14 is not good for flowers unless the background is carefully choosen. You succeeded in the first picture but picture 4 is unpleasing (to me, as always it is about personal taste).

One thing - there is quite a large amonut of fringe in the last picture. Nothing else is expected thinking of the circumstances. If you still have your DS, and *if* you you got the time some day: could you take the same picture with the K10D and the DS (similar subject) and show us the fringe from the test pictures? I wonder if the K10D is more prone to blooming and fringe than the DS.

Is it a "sambo" I see in that last picture btw?

Congratulations to your new lens! I have many a time wished my Zenitar really was a DA14 instead!

hälsningar,
01-06-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the feel of #3 too

01-07-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Follow-up's

Hej Jonas!

Japp, we went to Tenerife (eller Teneriffa på svensk) during the Christmas week and enjoyed 20-25 degrees and blue skies - except for one overcast day, but luckily this coincided with a daytrip to Santa Cruz and a visit to their archeological museum there.

I hadn't even noticed the fringe, which is certainly there! I doesn't bother me one bit, otherwise I would have seen it and used the built-in fringe-reducer in PE5. Perhaps I will later now that you have called my attention to it.

Don't have the DS anymore, sold it "ages" ago in anticipation of the K10D. But I have noticed blooming in a few heavily backlit shots but again, it isn't a concern for me as long as my pictures are otherwise sharp and have appealing colors.

I agree with you that the DA14 ins't an ideal lens for flowers - and agree with roentarre that you have to get very close. There were only few centimeters between the front glass and the flowers. I'm most pleased with the first flower shot but not the least displeased with the second one, again I don't have any particular expectations with regards to bokeh and DOV, I'm simpleminded in that way and just look at the result. If it's sharp (somewhere) I'll PP it and be happy.

But the DA14 is definately my most special lens, and I know that I wont be using it too often. Here are a few additional shots with thta one:

The rest can be seen here: Pentax DA 14 mm Photo Gallery by Lars Ugleberg at pbase.com