Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The 'Elusive Photo' Story
Lens: Pentax DA*60 - 270, Tamron 17 - 50 f/2.8 Camera: K-5, K-x Photo Location: Madawaska River, Algonquin, Ontario 
Posted By: tessfully, 01-17-2013, 02:09 PM

There is a place along the Madawaska River I visit often and every time I go it is like a whole new world. Of all the wondrous things to photograph I have this one picture stuck in my head and every time I try to get it, it never turns out the way I had imagined.

So when I heard we were in for a cold clear morning I made a plan to try again. Here is how it went.

6:30 a.m. - I snuck out of bed and looked out the window. Still dark, but I could see a sliver of light in the east and lots of stars. I made coffee and got my camera gear together. Dogs were still asleep. Good. I wasn't going to take them. They wreck my peace.

7:15 - Still pretty dark. I start to get dressed in multiple layers, got on my boots, tiptoed to the door, put my hand on the door knob and suddenly all chaos broke loose. Three dogs leaping in the air demanding a walk.

The dogs own me.

Well, the sun doesn't reach the part of the river I go to till almost 9:00 so I'll take them for their walk in the woods first. We head out to the deck and I am wowed by the sunrise, snapping the first two shots of the day.

8:30 - Dogs are now walked and back home. I grab the tripod, K-5 with the 60 - 250 and K-x with the Tamron 17- 50. As I leave for the river I can hear their mournful howling for at least 1/2 km. I guess Norman is up now.

I try but cannot resist taking photos of the usual suspects along the way --- stumps in the pond, the big old craggy rock face, the yellow birch glinting in the light.

9:00 -- Finally I get the river. The sun still hasn't completely made it over the ridge. Yeah! I set up the tripod and look for a good composition.

But then I see the way the light is striking the frosted trees across the river and I am in awe!

I go back to figuring out the perfect composition. It wasn't till I was back home that I noticed two Mergansers swimming in the mist!

Another sunspot grabs my attention...

And then I realize I am standing under the most gloriously backlit cedar boughs I have ever seen. I point the camera into the sun and shoot...

Right below the Cedar tree is a spindly bush that leans out over the river. The frosted branches are catching the sun. I almost slide off the icey rocks into the river for a swim with the tripod, k-5 and 60 - 250, but somehow stop with only the toe of my boot submerged. In this precarious position, I balance the tripod and get this shot...

I see the sun is higher....

The sun finally illuminates my subject and I race over to take a dozen shots of various settings and compositions.
(notice there is no picture posted here)

Getting chilled and hungry, but before I leave I use the Tamron to take a wide angle shot

And then I am over the moon with what I see ... going back to the 60 - 250 I take this scene, end up with four beauties and realize they are my raison d'être ... this photo looks incredible on the large screen....

I pack up and start for home, but the way the light is hitting that old octopus maple tree and frothing frosted milkweed pod makes me pause, and out comes the camera gear again.

Finally at 10:35 a.m. I am home sipping an expresso with the memory card in the computer.

Oh, and by the way, that elusive photo ... well not one turned out the way I hoped. Guess I'll just have to go back another time.

Last edited by tessfully; 01-17-2013 at 02:32 PM. Reason: I listed the wrong focal length for the Pentax lens
Views: 2,557
01-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tess, I don't know which one you were looking for but, I don't see a bad pic here. These are all outstanding, thanks for going out in the cold and bringing these back to share, Thanks, enjoy the coffee.......Cliff
01-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks so much Cliff! I didn't post the one I was after. It just didn't turn out the way I had hoped. I am glad you liked the series
01-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

What you almost dunked the DA*60-250? At least it was on the K-5 so it had a chance. Why wasn't I told about this? Good thing you post this stuff on line or I'd never find out!!!!!

01-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the photo "I see the sun is higher" is mystical, especially if you crop a little off of the top. All wonderful images and what an adventure you went off on. Do you take some type of alerting horn to get help if you would fall in? I really enjoyed viewing and reading this thread and the funny response from Norm. Real men sleep in, is what I think.
01-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
dbh
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I really enjoyed being taken along on your photo shoot!
01-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What you almost dunked the DA*60-250? At least it was on the K-5 so it had a chance. Why wasn't I told about this? Good thing you post this stuff on line or I'd never find out!!!!!
.....do you seriously expect to be told anything other than what she wants you to know...??

I have this image in my head of the dogs being pushed inside your bedroom door as she leaves for the next morning shoot.

Tess....wonderful series. I understand 100% what you say about that "elusive" shot....but thats what makes the chilly mornings and leaving a warm bed worth it.
Well done and thanks for sharing.

01-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for taking us on your early morning excursion!
01-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #9

Tess you could have written my story as so often its the ones you do get , whilst looking for the elusive "one", that has us returning to our favourite haunts. You are so blessed to live in such a beautiful place as depicted so well in this series. Cheers Garry
01-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Tess, what a wonderful narration of your journey to photography bliss and joy. The photos are magical and a joy to see. To actually experience seeing the world your saw must have been great. Your shots are great, thank you.
01-18-2013, 05:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Wonderful narrative and pictures Tess. I really like this series. It shows the beauty of winter - and while the temps may not be something we enjoy, the scenery sure is.
01-18-2013, 05:59 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A productive morning, indeed, Tess - a delightful and creative series.

Jer
01-18-2013, 06:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
the photo "I see the sun is higher" is mystical, especially if you crop a little off of the top. All wonderful images and what an adventure you went off on. Do you take some type of alerting horn to get help if you would fall in? I really enjoyed viewing and reading this thread and the funny response from Norm. Real men sleep in, is what I think.
Thanks Bob... I actually have two versions of that photo, the other is a tighter crop the way you describe. I went back and forth before choosing this one. As far as falling in... well, I am on my own there. No one would hear my calls for help. I have one of those really loud fog horns, but I only take it during the height of bear season. I guess Real Men are like bears... they sleep the winter away

QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
I really enjoyed being taken along on your photo shoot!
I am so glad you enjoyed it dbh! Thanks for reading and having a look!

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
.....do you seriously expect to be told anything other than what she wants you to know...??

I have this image in my head of the dogs being pushed inside your bedroom door as she leaves for the next morning shoot.

Tess....wonderful series. I understand 100% what you say about that "elusive" shot....but thats what makes the chilly mornings and leaving a warm bed worth it.
Well done and thanks for sharing.
Yes, I bet many people passionate about photography feel that way Mallee Boy And yes, I will be lining up another early morning and Norman will have to deal with the dogs Thanks for the nice comments!

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Thanks for taking us on your early morning excursion!
QuoteOriginally posted by grw46 Quote
Tess you could have written my story as so often its the ones you do get , whilst looking for the elusive "one", that has us returning to our favourite haunts. You are so blessed to live in such a beautiful place as depicted so well in this series. Cheers Garry
Thank you grw. That is it exactly... it is almost the unexpected that keeps photography exciting and favourite places fresh. I do feel really lucky and privileged to have ended up in the amazing place.

QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Tess, what a wonderful narration of your journey to photography bliss and joy. The photos are magical and a joy to see. To actually experience seeing the world your saw must have been great. Your shots are great, thank you.
Thanks for such wonderful feedback Trevor! I so appreciate reading your comments. They make me really happy I shared my story.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wonderful narrative and pictures Tess. I really like this series. It shows the beauty of winter - and while the temps may not be something we enjoy, the scenery sure is.
Thanks Dave, I really do like the cold... feeling the icey cold on my face is like drinking a glass of the greatest tasting cold water. This morning was - 30 and that really bothers the dogs feet.... but mannnn, the sunrise and mist coming up off the river is something else again

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
A productive morning, indeed, Tess - a delightful and creative series.

Jer
Thank you Jer!
01-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

What a wonderful story to give context to these truly beautiful photos, Tess! They are all superb! The reflections and wonderful light you captured, the cold cold frost and beauty of winter!! I'm in awe! You are masterful!!
01-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #15

Thanks for this wonderful story and photos! I can feel the fresh air!