Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Justice
Lens: Kit Lens Camera: Pentax K10D Photo Location: South Carolina 
Posted By: NiftyFifty, 01-18-2013, 12:33 AM

Took my camera to the Trayvon Martin justice rally in my city back in April 2012 and got a lot of good photojournalism type shots. This is one of my favorites. Don't remember which lens I used, but it was either the 18-55mm or 50-200mm kit lens. Photo converted to B/W with Photoshop. Please, no political/social comments or commentary. This was an "event" and I thought I could get some good, or at least interesting photos, and that's all to it. Thank you.

Attached Images

Views: 846
01-18-2013, 12:44 AM - 1 Like   #2

I think you did some good to put it into b/w. Seems like they're listening all well to something. Would've kept my camera a bit lower or at least removed a bit more of the trees on the background with photoshop.

But the main problem with those kind of things you often need to take some quick photo's or the subject has changed.
01-18-2013, 01:22 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Khashoggi Quote
I think you did some good to put it into b/w. Seems like they're listening all well to something. Would've kept my camera a bit lower or at least removed a bit more of the trees on the background with photoshop.

But the main problem with those kind of things you often need to take some quick photo's or the subject has changed.
I got goose bumps when I did the b/w conversion. The photo (and others) were just more powerful in b/w. Not that they weren't powerful in color, but something about the b/w made the seriousness of the occasion stand out more than color could - like it made you focus on what was important instead of extraneous details. I dunno, LOL... that's just the way it felt to me.

I did crop down the trees. But, cropping any further down would have shortened the dominant vertical planes of the photo too much and weakened the overall composition, IMO.

Thanks for your feedback!
01-18-2013, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

It was a good choice the BW - it does speak for itself.

01-18-2013, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do not know what the cause is but I can see from the intensity of the expressions on the faces, it was important to them. As a photographer, albeit an amateur, I can sense a conflict between between your desire for a stictly artistic composition and portraying a photojournalistic, confrontational message. My gut feeling is, and it is only a gut feeling, is that the people element in this photo is more important tnan anything else. Go with the people and crop the trees.
01-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I do not know what the cause is but I can see from the intensity of the expressions on the faces, it was important to them. As a photographer, albeit an amateur, I can sense a conflict between between your desire for a stictly artistic composition and portraying a photojournalistic, confrontational message. My gut feeling is, and it is only a gut feeling, is that the people element in this photo is more important tnan anything else. Go with the people and crop the trees.
You might have a point about a conflict between artistic and photojournalistic. I have to think about that (hmm) and maybe decide which I want this pic to be. Just one little correction though... It was not my goal to portray a "confrontational" message. I was at a civil rights rally and just trying to capture the experience overall, and find "moments" if I could. This shot presented itself to me - I was facing the opposite direction looking for potential shots and when I turned around it was all laid out for me.
01-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very good intense photo.--charliezap