Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First time out with the K10D
Posted By: Kim, 01-06-2007, 04:02 PM

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted pics for some time, but here are my first ones with the K10.

I went out to shoot the approaching storm and I thought that grainy B&W would be good. Please tell me what you think.

Views: 2,864
01-06-2007, 04:17 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I really like the effect of the grain on the photos.. great shots
01-06-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Flow

Hi Kim. Impressive B&W photos. I preferred the first one over the 2nd one.

First one has emphasis on the water flow, nice silky smooth with Eddie currents. Maybe this only takes up less than 1/3 of the frame so the theme might not have been clear enough. Lowering the body to take this photo might improve this showing up more foreground. The ship in the distance does bring out the 3D feel but the ship is a bit too small. I wonder what aperture you used for this shot. Might be f11 or f13 would bring out better silky smooth lines at foreground with these whirls or add a few neutral density filters.

The 2nd one is about making a statement. It is very contrasty and I believe you deliberately make it that way. I am more of on the gentle side so I preferred the 1st shot

I hope you are not feeling offended

Regards

James

Last edited by roentarre; 01-06-2007 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Stuffed up the quote
01-06-2007, 04:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for the idea!

I like them. Gives me an idea on how to capture a scene I've been wanting to photograph.

Thanks,

01-06-2007, 05:08 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Hi Kim!

If you interested with real opinion - that on a composition of the photostaff is a level of " the beginning amateur photographer " (Without insults?)

About use b&w decisions - that for this landscape the colour-filter and the small amendment of an exposition is necessary.

Good luck!
01-06-2007, 05:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I like #1, I think the grainy look and slow shutter speed works well with the B+W conversion..
01-07-2007, 02:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi Kim. I do like both, and the conversion is excellent. The only thing that is a little off putting for me is the first shot with the slow shutter speed. I think it usually works well, but in this case a bit faster would have been better. But its just my 2 cents worth.
Cheers.

01-07-2007, 05:56 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Hi Kim,
I like both shots, and I think your first is a very good shot and conversion. I like the composition and make up of this shot. I think it was a prefect choice for a conversion.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
01-07-2007, 08:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

B&W works well for these shots, focusing on the subject not the color and your more extreme contrast in the second shoot comes off. I do have a couple of minor pick points with #2;
It brings my eye to the horizon and not to the whole....the horizon is tilted to the right a bit.
The lighted sky and water light reflection align with the vertical crevass in the rocks which splits your shot in half.
01-07-2007, 09:45 AM   #10
Kim

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments so far everyone! It's always nice to get some feedback.

I had to I "force" these photos a bit. Weather wasn't what I had hoped, nor were the waves as big as I had hoped. I have a few pics of waves breaking against the rocks, but I haven't had time to check them out yet. I just couldn't find better compositional elements to use in the pics. My english isn't that good so it's a bit hard to explain what I mean..

Thanks for pointing out that the pics is leaning, too. I corrected it in the original file.

It's always kinda amazing to see how much peoples opinions differ. Some people don't like these at all it seems and then again I sold a print of nr. 1 about an hour after I printed it. I didn't even mean to try to sell these as I only went out to test the K10D.
01-08-2007, 06:14 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Hi!

"Kim" as that is connected to roots from Korea?

If is connected - that I shall a little expand the comment:
Technical progress allows to be engaged in a photo to anyone, but from it " knowledge on creation of a photo " did not cancel still...
In the world surrounding us millions plots develops constantly, but we do not see them, as frequently the modern person with a camera sees not them, and sees only itself - he is the photographer...
" Old masters of a photo spoke - the photographer (!) only the mechanism in " the world (!) of a photo "... Photos are made not by them... "

And in the rest - I wish you successes in mastering by a photo!
01-09-2007, 07:28 AM   #12
Kim

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Prizmatic Quote
Hi!

"Kim" as that is connected to roots from Korea?

Nope, as far as I know I'm half swedish and half finnish.
01-09-2007, 10:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Both of these are excellent shots with a great mood to them.

I prefer the first but can't help but wonder if removing some of the sky (top inch) would enhance the second shot further by giving more proportion to the rocks?

Either way, both images are very well done!
01-09-2007, 04:49 PM   #14
Inactive Account

To Kim

It not a problem!
For the information - "Kim" one of three ancient Korean surnames...
01-10-2007, 12:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Excellent B+W treatment, I prefer the first one but both are exceptionally beautiful.