Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Through the fence
Lens: Sigma 70-200 Camera: K7 Photo Location: Back Fence ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F13.5 
Posted By: sam-joseph, 01-18-2013, 04:31 PM

This is the back fence at my place. There's an acreage behind me, and my back fence is pool fencing, so I can enjoy the view of a nice green field beyond.
Recently I've noticed the Myna birds (a member of the Starling family, apparently), flying through the fence after taking a drink in my bird bath.
So I've been running into my family room, where the K7 is on the tripod, with the lens poked up to the glass between the venetian blinds. This is the closest vantage point without going outside and scaring them away. I've only managed to get one shot of a bird going through the fence, all the other attempts have resulted in "before and after" shots, even with the K7 on Hi Continuous shooting.

Here's a set showing the approach and departure.
1. Cleared for takeoff

2. Wings retracted

3. Levelling out

f5, 1/1250s, iso800, 180mm
Views: 906
01-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice series.

From the captured angle the bird looks larger than the opening. I am surprised that they do not to choose to go over.
01-19-2013, 02:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
I am surprised that they do not to choose to go over.
That's the problem. They mostly do go up on top of the fence, then fly off. It's only the occasional visitor that goes through the fence.
Also, yesterday as I was watching them with my finger on the shutter button, a Butcher bird landed on the bird bath. I didn't bother taking any photos because the Butcher never goes through the fence. Or so I thought. I missed a prime opportunity as the Butcher bird is a little larger than the Myna, and the resulting shot would potentially have been all the more impressive.

Regards
01-19-2013, 03:01 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

What a clever bird! Well done capturing the moment it slipped through the fence. By the way, the Noisy Miner is a honeyeater and not in any way related to Starlings or the Indian Mynah. The Noisy Miner is a native bird in the same family as the Bell Miner or Bellbird.

01-19-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Great shots
01-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
The Noisy Miner is a native bird in the same family as the Bell Miner or Bellbird.
Thanks for the clarification Rob. I'll know not to trust Wikipedia in the future.....

Regards
01-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
Thanks for the clarification Rob. I'll know not to trust Wikipedia in the future.....
I don't know which page you might have been looking at, but the page about the Noisy Miner doesn't mention Starlings (the one about the Indian Myna does). The name is confusing because "miner" sounds like "myna".

I'd recommend "Birds in Backyards" as a good basic resource for identifying Ozzie birds. It has a bird finder which you can use to find birds by their shape. Unfortunately their search engine doesn't do soundex matching so it won't show similar sounding names like "miner" and "myna".