Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Green-backed Heron nest
Posted By: roy, 02-21-2008, 10:46 AM

just put this together and thought some would enjoy it. basically it's shots of 4 fledglings growing up.. these were taken last year pretty much from my backyard. hopefully they'll be back.
it takes a minute to load and you may have to enable java.. if there's problems, i'll redo it.

press f11 for full screen

http://www.texasbostons.com/heron2/index.htm
Views: 1,615
02-21-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
just put this together and thought some would enjoy it. basically it's shots of 4 fledglings growing up.. these were taken last year pretty much from my backyard. hopefully they'll be back.
it takes a minute to load and you may have to enable java.. if there's problems, i'll redo it.

press f11 for full screen

http://www.texasbostons.com/heron2/index.htm
That was a real treat Roy. You have a butterfly in the mix, and it is a pretty one.
I love the shot of the baby with wings outstretched just taking off. I've never seen a Green Heron chick before. They are kind of funny looking in the way most baby birds are. They seem like they are pretty big before they start to get their adult feathers and coloring. Interesting study Roy, thank you for sharing. Oh, and I think you have a couple shots of a Little Blue Heron in the slide show too?
02-22-2008, 04:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice study Roy.
02-22-2008, 06:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What cute/ugly little fluff-balls!

02-22-2008, 06:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Wow!

What an experience to witness!

I've never been fortunate enough to see a green heron nest let alone watch the fledging of the young.

Looks like you're in great heron territory based on the little blue and yellow-crowned also in your series.

How high up is the nest?
02-22-2008, 06:20 AM   #6
roy
Inactive Account

Original Poster
yes, i had 3 shots sneak in but it was easier to leave them in rather than take them out. they were however taken from the same location at the same time. this one was too.. when this red shouldered would show up all he!! would break out..

02-22-2008, 06:24 AM   #7
roy
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
What an experience to witness!

I've never been fortunate enough to see a green heron nest let alone watch the fledging of the young.

Looks like you're in great heron territory based on the little blue and yellow-crowned also in your series.

How high up is the nest?
tom,
the nest was about 20' above the water and 50-60 feet from me. there's a pond next door and i shot from the opposite bank. while i shot this one there was another nest directly above me and i think i saw another in a different place but it never produced any thing. ??hawks, crows??
hopefully they will nest here again this year..

02-22-2008, 08:14 AM   #8
Bud
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Roy,

What a great series!

We have a Black-crowned Night-Heron rookery near here and they seem to return every summer. I think you may have inspired me to pay them a visit (or two) this summer

Wonderful post!

Bud
02-22-2008, 11:47 AM   #9
roy
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks bud,
the best part about shooting these is all i had to do was walk out the door and sit down..
tom, the number of herons is great here. i've also seen GBH and great snowy egrets.. i think they all like frog legs..