Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Photoshoot Writeup: Frocks, Fur and Flashes.
Posted By: Ben Hunt, 01-23-2013, 02:48 AM

Hey Guys, Just a quick one about a shoot from last year, plus a few photos

Ingredients Used:

K5
Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Macro
Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8
Pentax-M 50mm F1.4
Metz 58 AF2
Metz 48 AF1
a few Gels and filters

Whilst I still had a bit of daylight left I quickly wacked on my Tamron 90mm Macro and 70-200mm f2.8. I Placed the 48 AF1 on a stand at talent eye-height, off to camera right about 6 feet away and shooting through a 3x3 Softbox. The 58 AF1 was a bit closer in (5 foot) but about 2 feet over talent eye-level thrown to camera left shooting through a 120cm shoot through reflector placed in the middle of flash and talent.

Sometimes when trying to get critical focus on a M or A lens, I like to get a focus chart or a siemens star and get someone to hold that up to where the focus point is and focus it in manually. It makes a world of difference

This was the jewellery portion of the photo shoot, so the focus an emphasis was on the necklace not the face, which in hindsight is a shame as it would of been a stunning photo if focused on the eyes.

After another Wardrobe change, I was losing light fast, instead of running around like a headless chook, cranking all the lights to 11 and giving Sabrina the model a suntan. I though I might try and incorporate the vivid colours of the sunset and of the new dress.

I Underexposed the background by a stop to get the colour without washing and blowing it out. by now the sun was under the horizon and I place the model directly in between the sun's location ( or at least where it was) and the camera. Metz 48, on a stand and shooting without a diffuser to capture more sheen and sparkle of the dress and to give Sabrina a more athletic look with sharper shadows on the face was placed off to camera left providing most of the light and the 58 kicking in some diffused light through a 60cm shoot through on the other side of the face. Shooting with the 50mm @ f3.2

After this we lost the sunlight, and went for the final wardrobe change. As a side note, Fashion photography is 20% planning, 10% shooting and 70% waiting, A lot of time is spent on waiting around, waiting for a wardrobe change, makeup, waiting for the light, waiting for locations to clear. but this time is much welcome, as it gives you a chance to think about how and what to shoot, and for the next session I was thinking of doing something with the old "hollywood glow" look that use to be used around the 1940's as it suited the dresses and fur coat. Once again I wackked on the 50mm f1.4 for full body shots and the 90mm for close ups. on both the lens I had a Hoya 1A warming filter, just to bring out a bit more of a glow with the skin. I kept the camera's white balance set to 7200K to keep the flash light fairly neutral and to make every other light nice and warm. with the Metz 58 camera right, nice and high up, about 10ft on a stand. On the flash I had a 1/4 straw CTO gel and it was shooting through a 3x3 softbox aimed towards Sabrina's face. Metz 48 off to camera left running 2/3 of a stop darker than the main flash (Metz 58), no gel and shooting through a 120cm shoot-through. Using a 60cm silver reflector placed directly in front of Sabrina and on the ground, I bounced the light from the Metz 58 back up to soften up the shadows on the face. I always find it easier to work with the knows first, dial in and expose for the lights that you can't control and from there on you can start to play around with your controllable lights like flashes and reflectors. in this case, I exposed for the background lights and then tinkered around with my flashes.

Happy Shooting!

Last edited by MRRiley; 01-23-2013 at 06:36 AM. Reason: added photo category
Views: 1,239
01-23-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Great photos!

Thanks for sharing your experience
01-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful indeed excellent work.
01-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Superb images, really first class. I love the Tamron 90, it's a fabulous lens and way under rated.

01-24-2013, 01:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Cool! I will never understand the world of flash. I'm always amazed at those who do it so well.
01-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

+1 to everyone's comments, these are terrific! I just picked up the Tamron 90 a couple of days ago (bought from a PF member), and I've only taken 4 or 5 shots and they certainly don't look like these. Think it's defective?
03-08-2013, 01:08 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think you lense is defective! Ben just finished in detail all the work he did to create excellent lighting. The lense is the last concern, if he doesn't get the lighting correct, the lense has no chance to do what it was made to do. Lighting is so important and then the equipment comes in later. I have the same Tamron 90mm lense and it is a great lense. it is only great at catching great light. Lighting from a softbox is way different than ambient light. I bet your lense is just fine Cardinal 43.