Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Random Cold-weather Shots
Lens: various Camera: K-5 Photo Location: South Algonquin, Ontario 
Posted By: tessfully, 01-23-2013, 01:50 PM

It was minus 38 Celsius when I got up today. Mist was rising off the river like smoke from a forest fire. This is the third day in a row and it makes walking the dogs and photo opportunities brief. Here are a few I managed over the last couple days.

Pine in early morning mist... I was using the Pentax 60 - 250 and trying out some settings I read in a book, shutter speed 1/500, f/16, which gave me an ISO of 1600

Three minutes later I took this, 1/200 f/8 ISO 200 --- what a difference!

And then I saw this shot which I quite like...It was a very soft light and quite misty, but I wonder if this should be more contrasty?

I took the above pictures from the balcony and my head kept hitting the icicles...a few abstracts....

A very cool thing... while on our dog walk there is a crow that flies over almost every day and caws at us. I only had the Tamron 90 on my camera but he got pretty close and I snapped this...

Took three visits to get one of these I liked

I was standing outside waiting for Norman and I randomly shot the birds coming into the feeder. I took this with my Pentax F 70 - 210

thank you for having a look
Views: 1,747
01-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

All masterfully (or, is that "mistressfully"?) captured! I can NEVER get a chickadee that sharp. They're always jerkin' around and flitting about!
01-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like the softness of your captures in 1 and 3 and the crow looks like an exotic bird in flight. I can't imagine what those temps would feel like, coat weather I would assume.
01-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice! I really like the 2nd and 3rd ice shots. The variety of shapes and sizes of the bubbles is intriguing and the detail is superb.

01-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Another beautiful and entertaining series. I especially like the mist's mystery in #1 and the very sharp ice shots.
01-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Cold is the operative word Tess.A very nice series.--charliezap
01-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

nice series, ... the first shot, the first ice and bird shots are all outstanding to my eyes, the one you ask about contrast could maybe use a bit more contrast as long as it didn't effect the background too much IMO.
cheers.

01-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

-38 now you are talking cold ! Love the ice shots. I image even the dogs did not want to stay out too long in that.
01-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Wonderful images Tess. You really know how to show the beauty of the area in your photos.
01-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for letting me have a look!
01-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
rhe
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Wonderful images Tess. You really know how to show the beauty of the area in your photos.
Great shots Tess! Thanks for sharing and for braving the cold.
01-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
Pentaxian

All great, but that first ice shot just captures the eye and drags it in and makes it wander all 'round the edges and thru the clear bits... A wall-hanger!

Jim
01-25-2013, 06:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I really like the softness of your captures in 1 and 3 and the crow looks like an exotic bird in flight. I can't imagine what those temps would feel like, coat weather I would assume.
Thanks for the nice words Bob. It is still that cold. Maybe warm up over the weekend to about minus 16.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Nice! I really like the 2nd and 3rd ice shots. The variety of shapes and sizes of the bubbles is intriguing and the detail is superb.
Thank Jerry!

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Another beautiful and entertaining series. I especially like the mist's mystery in #1 and the very sharp ice shots.
Thank you causey

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Cold is the operative word Tess.A very nice series.--charliezap
Thanks so much Charlie!

QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
nice series, ... the first shot, the first ice and bird shots are all outstanding to my eyes, the one you ask about contrast could maybe use a bit more contrast as long as it didn't effect the background too much IMO.
cheers.
Thanks Cee Cee. I just tried to add contrast so the cedar would pop out a bit but it makes the background a strange yellow. I will have to see if I can darken the cedar only somehow.
01-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
-38 now you are talking cold ! Love the ice shots. I image even the dogs did not want to stay out too long in that.
Hi Dave... I am sure you are more used to -40 than we are. So much mist coming off the river I wonder if there'll be any water left in it when things warm up! Thanks for the nice comments

QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Thank you bluestringer! It is easy to capture the beauty when the sun shines and the mist rises!

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Thank you for letting me have a look!
Oh you are so welcome eagle Thank you for looking!

QuoteOriginally posted by rhe Quote
Great shots Tess! Thanks for sharing and for braving the cold.
Thanks for the nice comment rhe! I am always so happy to share and truly thankful you are here to have a look.

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
All great, but that first ice shot just captures the eye and drags it in and makes it wander all 'round the edges and thru the clear bits... A wall-hanger!

Jim
So nice of you to say Jim! Yes, that is the one that got me very excited when I saw it on the computer. You never know with ice what you might get. I appreciate your comments very much!
01-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always look forward to your wonderful, eclectic series - lots of neat stuff to see and to think about.

Jer